Cleaning up after ourselves

rmarentette

Over the years I've noticed more and more garbage left at portages and shoreline fishing sites- beer cans, candy wrappers, juice and water bottles and fishing line ect. Most people understand what old fishing line can do to boat motors but what effect does it have on wildlife? We've all seen movies that show the stomach contents of dead sharks- the scene from Jaws that showed an old license plate comes to mind. A friend sent me a link to a website for a film project called Midway Journey. This movie has some very startling scenes and underlines the importance of recognizing the impact that irresponsible behaviour can have on our environment.

http://www.midwayfilm.com/

True enough---Another bad one is the nice folks who do not wish to part with 10-20 bucks and dump their household garbage--incl old appliances down back roads

local twsp just upped the fine to a thousand dollars if get caught

True enough---Another bad one is the nice folks who do not wish to part with 10-20 bucks and dump their household garbage--incl old appliances down back roads

Ughhh, can't even say how much seeing old tires/appliances/garbage bags thrown down forest access roads ****** me off!

Never understood the mentality of tossing things out the window or just dropping them....drives you crazy in the bush to see Timmies cups and beer cans.

There was nearly a ban on permanent ice shacks here in MB recently because of the garbage left, apparently enforcing littering laws is extremely difficult due to a he said/she said sort of deal.

I agree 100%.... We are from Pittsburgh, PA.. USA citizens.. First thing we do when we get into our Fly In lake is clean up all the garbage left behind from the other crews that were in there! We walk alongthe lake, as much as we can and pick all the garbage up! People do not realize how nice and lucky they have it.. DO NOT BE PIGS... Clean up after yourselves... Its not hard...

Just last week I stopped to pick up a very big flatscreen TV that had been dumped in the ditch by my house. Pigs.

In our city there is no fee to dump the garbage.

However, my wife and I clean fishing spots at small brookie or splake lakes whenever we are there for fishing. There is one small 500 yrds long lake with 2 spots -far in the bush. One day we carried out 2 of those big black garbage bags from one! spot. How can anglers sit there in the middle of garbage fishing for brookies?

Btw: If you are looking for the secret trail to a hidden lake just follow the garbage.

Thank you Rolly for your post!