swimming pool on a deck

tomO

Wife and daughter want a small pool on the deck 10 footer on the deck any one know how I can figure out if the deck will hold it . !2 foot long span and 2x8 floor joists set at 16 inche centers. pools 10 feet across and 30 inches deep. 1100 gallon capacity 9 to 10 thousand lbs with people i think, just curious what the formula might be. I could shore it up.

Your math is about right. Water is 62 lbs a gallon. So not a chance in heck. Your deck might rate 100 lbs a square foot capacity. That pool will go through before it's half full

Water is 8.33 lbs per US gallon (10 lbs per IMP gallon).

No idea if it would hold it though...

Burt :)

My calculations put you at about 152 pounds per square foot of your pool full with water with nobody in it based on your pool being round and 30 inches deep. Total weight of your pool is about 12250 pounds when it is full of water based on a cubic foot of water being 62.4 pounds.

Edited by bobowski

I use to intsal pools for a long time. There is bylaws in lots of areas about that so check into it. I wouldn't suggest it though. When we put a hottub on a deck it had to be reinforced and that won't be near the waeight of a 10' pool. You would also need to put a floor underneath so that the deck doesn't tear the liner.