Brook Trout Fishing

The girlfriend and I are planning on camping this long weekend on a remote lake. I have a few in mind that have brook trout in them and a few others that have pike. I've only fished brookies once (unsuccessfully) in April on a small lake just north of bracebridge. Beautiful lake though...The pics tell the story

DSCN3323.JPG

DSCN3335.JPG

DSCN3342.JPG

DSCN3346.JPG

DSCN3354.JPG

My question is do you more experienced brook trout fishermen think that they will still be in shallow? Or have they gone deeper. If they've gone deeper I might choose one of the pike lakes I have in mind.

What do you guys think?

Keep a close eye/ear for fish jumping near the shore where a hatch may be happening. Likely they will still be shallow but on really clear/warm days you may only see them during the morning and dusk.

I would definitly stay in "spring" mode for the next couple weeks, for brookies.

A really handy tool is a thermometer. I picked one up at LeBaron for $8 that has a valve to let water in, and has a gauge to approximate the depth. I've checked it against my depthfinder and it's pretty accurate. Great for finding where the ideal temp range is.

I've caught nice ones in mid summer till Sept-----Slip bobber---5-6 ft of line below a red hook and small minnow

Quick breaks and wood nearby

Caught em on mepps spinners on tea lake castin off an island in mid July