Question for the fly fishers

misfish

Had a chance to bring out the fly rod for a bit this past weekend and when I'm connecting my leader to my tippet, would you use a uni-knot or put in a micro swivel to connect? I've been using a micro swivel to prevent me from cutting off my leader, but I ended up having a few break offs above the swivel. I'm not sure if the break off was the result of using the swivel or perhaps the diameter of the leader was smaller than the diameter of my tippet.

Also, any indicators to recommend? The ones I've been using results in a pretty mangled leader. Are there indicators that don't put some much wear and tear on the leader?

Thanks!

I use a double or triple surgeons knot for leader to tippet - there shouldn't be a massive difference in diameter between the two.

Indicators - I use Thingamabobbers, loop you leader and pass it through the hole in teh indicator then pass the lopp over the indicator and you're good to go. I also use strike putty when using very small flies but it can be a PITA to keep on the leader unless you mould it over a knot.

I've been using "Turn-on" indicators for years and really like them...no need to thread line through them and they don't destroy leaders. You simply lay the line into the slit and then twist them a few times. If you want to adjust depth or remove them, you just untwist them again.

Available at the fly shop in Bass Pro:

http://www.basspro.com/TurnOn-Strike-Indicator/product/44566/103565

Edited by wallacio

Cuzza->Those Thingamabobbers is what I use and I find that they ruin the leader. The "turn-on" indicators are exactly what I'm looking for. :)

I can imagine they'd mess up really fine stuff but not had too many problems so far. I like the idea of the twist ones though, I tried some similar ones that you didn't twist and they all headed off to the Great Lakes on their own <_<