gasket maker on outboard motors

i decided to clean the carbs on my 40 honda...

once the job was started i realized i had to take more parts off then i had expected...now i needed more gaskets... so i ordered them... its been 2 weeks and im worried about having my boat ready for opener this weekend...

so im wondering if gasket maker would do the trick...

the 2 gaskets in question are one for the muffler plate(rubber) and one for the manifold(paper)...

i dont think there is serious presure on these gaskets...but then again i dont know a heck of a lot about engines...or gaskets for that matter...

so what do you guys think...? should i use gasket maker or do i have to wait for the proper gaskets?

thanks

mike

Edited by Musky Mike

i decided to clean the carbs on my 40 honda...

once the job was started i realized i had to take more parts off then i had expected...now i needed more gaskets... so i ordered them... its been 2 weeks and im worried about having my boat ready for opener this weekend...

so im wondering if gasket maker would do the trick...

the 2 gaskets in question are one for the muffler plate(rubber) and one for the manifold(paper)...

i dont think there is serious presure on these gaskets...but then again i dont know a heck of a lot about engines...or gaskets for that matter...

so what do you guys think...? should i use gasket maker or do i have to wait for the proper gaskets?

thanks

mike

no Mike , theres no gaskit make that will stand up to the exhaust heat , it might work for a bit but it needs to maintain a certain amount of exhaust back pressure in order to run properly and you'll lose that when the gaskit maker blows out ............... sorry .

Edited by Skipper " D "

Are you talking about gasket maker in a tube? If so, I would wait until you get the right ones. However, there is actual gasket material that can be cut to the proper size, which would be a better option than the stuff in a tube if you want to use something now to get you going. You could then put the right ones in when needed.

Are you talking about gasket maker in a tube? If so, I would wait until you get the right ones. However, there is actual gasket material that can be cut to the proper size, which would be a better option than the stuff in a tube if you want to use something now to get you going. You could then put the right ones in when needed.

X's 2............good.gif

I keep a few sheets of gasket material in the garage and cut the ones that are hard to source.

Trace it out, and take your time cutting it accurately with good scissors and a new blade in your Exacto knife. Use punches for holes, if you have them.

so it sounds like i should borrow dad/brothers boat if my gaskets dont come in in time....

i guess ill have to resort to the ranger 620t for opener... things a beast... overkill...

I was sure happy we were in that boat when I went fishing with ya lol.

Better overkill than to be underpowered. I hope your gaskets come in soon or you might not be able to hit 10,000 walleye this year. :P