Mitchell lake this spring

Rizzo

Was hoping to go after some pike in Mitchell Lake this spring, but when I drove past a few months back the lake was pretty much empty. Is the water back and did the pike come with it? Or do the pike head for Canal or Balsam when the water drops? We went one day last year and it felt good to annhilate a few pike that are heading through the Kawarthas. Would like to slay a few more this year if I could. If Mitchell is still just a puddle with stumps, perhaps someone could point me in the direction of high pike density in Balsam.

Was hoping to go after some pike in Mitchell Lake this spring, but when I drove past a few months back the lake was pretty much empty. Is the water back and did the pike come with it? Or do the pike head for Canal or Balsam when the water drops? We went one day last year and it felt good to annhilate a few pike that are heading through the Kawarthas. Would like to slay a few more this year if I could. If Mitchell is still just a puddle with stumps, perhaps someone could point me in the direction of high pike density in Balsam.

I was fishing it 3 last weekends. Water level is low. Pike is in the lake. I can't say that bite is on, but i caught couple every time.

I fished it twice last year due to a friend invitation, Water level was higher during spring time last year for most kawarthas lake but way lower this year.

Very shallow and weedy lake, I heard it is a hit and miss lake in general, due to shallow depth, hardly any deep area for fish to hide when water gets too cold or too hot. Many areas average under 5 ft of water. Lots of weeds covered with algae and seem unhealthy.

Pike normally were killed and request not to be thrown back at balsam to protect musky habitat. More smaller pike at Mitchell, where bass tends to shy away from the area once they finished spawning. I never fished there during bass opener, I pressume the shallow weedy habitat is excellent spawning ground for bass around April and May, but by opener, many will be gone.

In general, I do not like to fish this lake. Balsam and Cameron is just few minutes away.

I've been hitting Mitchell/Balsam every week since the 2nd week of march with a buddy. It's been hit and miss with the water temp. changing so much, but we've pulled 15 pike out so far. Mitchell has always produced for me, especially in the summer with most people staying away because of the shallow/weed/deadhead infested water. It holds big fish year round, but people get turned of by the thick weeds.

The best day so far this year was 7 pike, but that was with a west wind on a warm front. Last year I would hit between 10-15 pike a trip at least once the weather warmed up. As for the lake being off in the hot weather, I start fishing before daybreak to get them when the water is cooler.