first turkey hunt

waterwolf

went to see a frinds buddy about a boat. didn't like the boat but the seller and i talked about everything hunting.anyway, i got invited out on my 1st turkey hunt. he dropped a bird on wed and passed on a distant bird today . same spot tomorrow. . i can't wait. sleep ,,ya right. thought it just incredible to be given this opportunity by a new aquaintence. doesn't happen often.

good luck to you. And your right you went to look at a boat next thing you know you got hunting property. BONUS!! flip

turned out better than i thought possible. my new hunting partner i and met up and exchanged plans for the morning hunt. as soon as we get out of our trucks , gobbler fires up. he went north ,me south. last years corn stubble is sticking out a bit ,but a real good field to set up as birds are noticeable as they peek over the hump in the field to check things out.i started with a light yelp ,then clucked a bit.. 15 minutes, that tom ran straight at me stopped at the decoy and stayed in strut way too long. patience ,, gone. it couldn't have gone any better.didn't have a chance to weigh it but was told for sure over 20 lbs. 40 yds '3in mag. remington express pump did it's job. got a few pictures , just been a while since i,ve posted any . i'm on it.

thanks guys. i'll get photos done sunday. took a couple measurements. beard at 9in. spurs 13/16. wings and beard ,, really worn!!struttin'hard for a while i guess. don't know how to age toms ,anyone know.i'd like to know as much as i can about these guys.feel bad for my host hunter, he fired and missed his tom. ouch! i left , the guest ,with a great bird. he seemed very ok, really pleased he put me on my first turkey. i sure let him know how much i appreciated the opportunity!great guy . goin again in the mornin.damn , it's gettin late! nite

thanks guys. i'll get photos done sunday. took a couple measurements. beard at 9in. spurs 13/16. wings and beard ,, really worn!!struttin'hard for a while i guess. don't know how to age toms ,anyone know.i'd like to know as much as i can about these guys.feel bad for my host hunter, he fired and missed his tom. ouch! i left , the guest ,with a great bird. he seemed very ok, really pleased he put me on my first turkey. i sure let him know how much i appreciated the opportunity!great guy . goin again in the mornin.damn , it's gettin late! nite

just a footnote i guess. love fishing,hunting,but a spring hunt is fantastic! i miss the fall deer hunt, so now it's not that far aay again, you know? pike opens very soon , so i'm not missing a beat!!season to season. good times.

Lenght of spurs, length of beard, and the tail feathers.

I'm simply judging by the length of spurs. He could be a 3 year old, but I'm betting on 2.

If it was a 1 year old, he would just have little nubby spurs. If he was 3 they should be over an inch.

Sounds like you guys already got the boss tom, and this guy was looking for his turn at some action!

Keep in mind, none of this is exact science!

S.

I'm simply judging by the length of spurs. He could be a 3 year old, but I'm betting on 2.

If it was a 1 year old, he would just have little nubby spurs. If he was 3 they should be over an inch.

Sounds like you guys already got the boss tom, and this guy was looking for his turn at some action!

S.

at least 4 gobblers still in the area ! honestly , i've been dealt a great hand here.our field then a long field in front ,, then a long strip of woods . 6 maybe 700 yards. birds fired up all along the edge but won't commit. but that's after 2 shots fired so morning may be different.i'm gonna move my set-up, call a little different an try to flirt with these big boys.

S.

good bird, but i don't he's boss tom.he came in so fast and othjer toms were still gobblin like crazy but wouldn't show. i think there's a great tom yet to come. i hope, how greedy am i ,eh ?/quote]