Question for rod builders

newb09

The first (tip)Guide came off while I was out fishing. I built this rod myself. It was my third rod I build so far. but 1st time this happened to me..I am not sure what I did wrong. Is there anything I should have done to avoid the guide coming loose.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Regards

When using the glue stick type adhesive you need to get it pretty hot to thin it out enough so the guide doesn't scrape it off when installing it.

The best way to make sure this doesn't happen is to use 5 minute epoxy as it's quite a bit thinner.

Using heat (just like you would with the glue stick adhered guide) you will still be able to remove the tip guide if it ever needs replacement as well.

When using the glue stick type adhesive you need to get it pretty hot to thin it out enough so the guide doesn't scrape it off when installing it.

The best way to make sure this doesn't happen is to use 5 minute epoxy as it's quite a bit thinner.

Using heat (just like you would with the glue stick adhered guide) you will still be able to remove the tip guide if it ever needs replacement as well.

Thanks Dave for the reply..

I forgot to mention an important detail. the (tip) guide I used was the same as the second guide. So, it was my warping/glue that failed.

Will your suggestion apply to what I did?

I forgot to mention an important detail. the (tip) guide I used was the same as the second guide. So, it was my warping/glue that failed.

No, this applys to regular tube type tip tops not tying on a traditional single foot guide as a tip top.

Likely your wrap tension was too loose which is why the wrap failed.

Retie with more tension next time and the problem will be solved.

I don't bother tying on single foot guides as tip tops any more since I now use single foot fly guides as the running guides on almost all of my rods now. Traditional tip tops line up very nicely with them and traditional tip tops are much more durable. ;)

Ooooops, failed to notice that in my previous reply, but yes as Dave noted, perhaps a little more tension. Also ensure that the winding finish is applied liberally beyond the thread at the tip end and using a "Forhan locking wrap" would also be advisable.

Ooooops, failed to notice that in my previous reply, but yes as Dave noted, perhaps a little more tension. Also ensure that the winding finish is applied liberally beyond the thread at the tip end and using a "Forhan locking wrap" would also be advisable.

Thank gents for your input. I sounds like my warping wasn't done properly, I m going to order a tip top that matches my current guides, using tip top sounds like a better Idea.