Algonquin Park - Interior Trip

Stoty

Hey everyone,

I'm planning a trip to the interior of Algonquin again this year, and this time I think we are going to use one of the access points on the Northern side of the park (Near North Bay), and I was wondering if anyone has done a trip up there for Bass/Pike? Any recommendations on routes/lakes?

Any help is much appreciated!

Not north side but still close to North Bay, the west side is mostly lakers and bass from what I remember. You'll find brookies in some of the streams/ rivers as well. North Tea is a motor lake and small horse units are carried acoss the portage but keep in mind Kawawaymog (known as Round Lk and an access point) is a shallow lake and blows up into a choppy mess very easily.

The west is a very beautiful side of the Park, you'll have a great time.

I've been on north tea for three seperate trips and really enjoy the area. The portage between north tea and manitou (the one to the east, there are two) is along side a nice stream and a good place to mess around for a few hours. I've caught some good size smallmouth off the islands in the north east arm of manitou as well.

The Petawawa River system is the best warm water fishery in the park imo.

Cedar Lake at access point #27 (Brent) is more or less the headwaters of the river and is a logical place to consider.

Cedar has an excellent smallmouth and walleye fishery, is a large underutilized lake and also allows motorized boats.

You could have a fantastic trip simply trailering a small boat up to Cedar and setting up a base camp.

You can also paddle the Petawawa river itself, starting at Cedar lake and ending at Lake Travers downstream. You'd obviously have to arrange a shuttle of some kind if you chose this route, but it's no big deal, lots of people do it.

In between Cedar and Travers is Radiant lake, another widening of the river that has excellent fishing and some amazing sand beaches.

The river itself has spectacular fishing, campsites and scenery and along with the abundant walleye and bass there's a healthy population of musky as well.

Yes there's rapids, but they're all easily bypassed by portages and even a novice can do this route with care. Especially in the summer when water levels are lower.