Hastings Fishing?

mrdylan

I have read now in a couple places including the regs that you can not fish in Hastings until the May long weekend. We bought a trailer out there in july last year so this is new to us. What I am wondering is if this is just for the Dam and right in town or in general? Our trailer park site states that it is 4 km out of hastings do we fall into these guidelines? I am worried about missing the Crappies and I have been looking forward to fishing more than anything all winter we go up on on the 4th of may to open it I have been planning to at least get in a few hours that weekend.

Help!!!!

The chap that runs the bait and tackle shop on the road (45?) heading east out of Hastings (north side of river...south side of road) would know where the fish sanctuary ends below the dam...

I have read now in a couple places including the regs that you can not fish in Hastings until the May long weekend. We bought a trailer out there in july last year so this is new to us. What I am wondering is if this is just for the Dam and right in town or in general? Our trailer park site states that it is 4 km out of hastings do we fall into these guidelines? I am worried about missing the Crappies and I have been looking forward to fishing more than anything all winter we go up on on the 4th of may to open it I have been planning to at least get in a few hours that weekend.

Help!!!!

Try sending Steelcat a pm, he may be able to help you, I think he is based out of Rice Lake.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure there is a set distance you have to be downstream of the dam in order to fish the regular season opener for crappies. The walleye season opens 2 weeks later below the dam, to protect the spawners that are there then.

Your fine if your so far downstream, but I"m not sure how far exactly you have to be.

Hope that is as clear as mud...lol.

Sinker

I have fished right on top of the dam and had a CO check my license, not once did he tell ANYONE they could fish righ infront of the dam, even the owner of the tackle shop does it. I believe you are right about the opener on the May long weekend, that is what I remember last year.