How fast is the current on Detroit River?

Wymen

Hey There,

Anyone know how fast is the current on Detroit River? I was thinking of doing a canoe trip but could only find a single access point. Is the current slow enough to be able to paddle back upstream to the access point? Or should I do more research and try to find another access point further down stream?

Hey There,

Anyone know how fast is the current on Detroit River? I was thinking of doing a canoe trip but could only find a single access point. Is the current slow enough to be able to paddle back upstream to the access point? Or should I do more research and try to find another access point further down stream?

US Coastal Pilot guide is the best source for this data. It only covers US waters, but that's fine for the Detroit R.

The Detroit River is controlled, so its speed doesn't vary by much.

Each speed given is an average of water flow from bank to bank and from the top to bottom. Current in the middle is about 1.5x the numbers given here:

- Livingstone Channel Upper Entrance Light: 0.8 mph

- Fighting Island North Light: 1.5 mph

- 1.7 miles below the Ambassador Bridge: 1.6 mph

- Lower end of Belle Isle: 1.4 mph

- Peche Island Light: 1.5 mph

Where abouts, specifically do you want to go in/out?

Edited by whiskywizard

US Coastal Pilot guide is the best source for this data. It only covers US waters, but that's fine for the Detroit R.

Each speed given is an average of water flow from bank to bank and from the top to bottom. Current in the middle is about 1.5x the numbers given here:

Ed Zachary.

The current should't be a problem except for under the Ambasador Bridge. The problem is wake from larger boats. Kayaks even have problems at times. From LaSalle to Turkey Island is a good area.

If you fish near peche isle, you should be able to tuck in close to shore and paddle back upstream in lighter current. Same thing at fighting island. Both islands have good access and are close to prime drifts. My concern would be getting hit broadside by a wake from a freighter or large fishing boat. Most popular drifts on the river aren't real long. So guys will drift 15-20 minutes then motor back upstream. When you have 40 + boats working a drift, there's nearly always a boat going back upstream, many not aware or concerned about the wake they are creating. Small crafts on the detroit get bounced around.

If you are an experienced canoer, you should be fine. Just be aware of what's going on around you and be ready to turn your canoe quickly when large waves threaten from the side.

If you plan on fishing only the canadian shoreline, watch the wind. Our water gets muddy real quick if there's sustained wind from any direction. Emerald green or clear water is good. When its brown on our side, you have a chance at finding clearer water along the US shoreline.

Didn't know the river is controlled. How do they do that without locks and dams?

Thanks for all of the feedback folks. I was thinking something by Peche Island but I agree, if its a busy day there is going to be a crazy number of wakes. I also have a small trolling motor on the back, so hopefully that will help.

BTW, do you know if there is anyone in that area that rents boats?

Wymen