Billionaire US Citizen blocking access to public lakes

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

No that is not clear but I have no other questions.

You are fine with it as long as it doesn't effect you and no one else should be upset with it either, I assume that is why you are scolding people in this thread. Got it. Under that train of thought I very briefly wondered why you would even join this thread.

When it does effect you, you are miffed but lack the ambition to fight for it depending on the quality of the water. Got it.

I do not require any more input from you, thanks for offering.

Edit:typo

Edited by Grimace

The issue is not the land he owns but access because of the public road, the road may have been included in some of this purchase. The transactions need to be reviewed, the province can sell a public roadway hence the privately owned 407 in Ontario. I am not picking sides but I am sure his lawers did a very good job laying out these land purchases to protect his interests just as your lawyer should have when you bought property. Everyone here who is saying that nature can't be owned, give up your homes and property because that was all nature before it was developed and built on just on a smaller scale than this guy.

Everyone likes to believe that billionaires all inherited their money, some likes Gates, Jobs, Zuckerberg,Buffet, Basille, came from families that weren't poor but they created their ideas and earned their billions. There are many others, Micheal Dell, Oprah, Walton,John paul De Joria, Ralph Lauren, just to name a few that started from very little. Don't be upset that they made it, even if your born into it you need to be smart enough to keep it, plenty of fortunes disappear after the idiot son takes over the business. Don't blame him for making it, blame the government for a poorly made deal if that occured. Your right we would all be billionares if it were easy but its not, they do keep many of us employed and if you feel like a slave working for them than do something for yourself and move on. Problem is we are so comfortable that we don't wish to take the risks and challenges, and then just bugger about the ones that did and made it.

Sorry just my rant for the day.

exactly like i said. jealousy brings out the evil in some people.

do you guys honestly believe that a billionaire would hire some joe schmoe lawyers for this purchase? odds are he has a team of expert lawyers that went over every single detail with a fine tooth comb to make sure his ass was covered. on top of that, the government gave him permission to block access so i'll assume he bought the road too. but yeah, a few OFNer's are certainly more informed :rolleyes:

the article states that he enlarged the size of the lake by flooding his land before stocking it, so i'll assume more legal mumbo jumbo comes into play under these circumstances. therefore, any part of that water body outside of the original lake was created by him making him the owner, no?

correct me if im wrong, but if a marina excavates channels on a lake aren't they deemed the owners of said water/channels and can post no trespassing?

that said, how many of you would allow the public to have unrestricted access to your piece of paradise? he's living the life that we can only dream about. you're all getting worked up about an issue that has nothing to do with any of us. as someone else mentioned, why not worry about issues closer to home?

Not pointing to this specific case but I think we should be aware of and fight for issues beyond our own borders. We need to help others in their battles if we are ever to expect/hope for outside help in our battles.

There may come a time when there's an issue, oh let's say the Mega Quarry for example, that has no effect whatsoever on someone in another province but they see this as a bigger picture issue where Ontarians could use the support of others. Could be us today and who knows who tomorrow kinda thing.

If people outside BC didn't care, then Clayoquot Sound might not be what it is today and MacBlo may well have cleared it outright.

I believe fisherman, as people benefitting from the outdoors and also giving back to it, need to offer our support (not blindly of course) to those seeking to protect the environment we work/ play in.