Algae cleaning on Aluminium vs fiberglass

cityfisher

Hi all,

For years we have stored our boat at the marina and at the end of the season we would clean all the algae / slime off the hull with toilet bowl cleaner. Always did a great job and had no ill effects on the hull.

Now we are looking at getting an aluminum boat and wondered if the same toilet bowl cleaner can be used on an allumnium hull? My worry is that the cleaner would strip the coating/decal on the aluminum. ( we are looking at princecraft/lund)

Thoughts??

I would stay away from a full strength hydrochloric acid based cleaner, but any mild-acid formulation would be fine, just rinse well.

This is what I would recommend Action

...but that's just because I work there.

Hi all,

For years we have stored our boat at the marina and at the end of the season we would clean all the algae / slime off the hull with toilet bowl cleaner. Always did a great job and had no ill effects on the hull.

Now we are looking at getting an aluminum boat and wondered if the same toilet bowl cleaner can be used on an allumnium hull? My worry is that the cleaner would strip the coating/decal on the aluminum. ( we are looking at princecraft/lund)

Thoughts??

If I'm not mistaken, it's taboo to use the TBC on aluminum, it will "eat" it.