Turkey Time

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

Came across these three toms...and on-the-fence hens...yesterday morning on my way home from work. Always cool to watch the interaction between these guys and gals once spring rolls around.

TurkeyTime01.jpg

TurkeyTime02.jpg

TurkeyTime03.jpg

Cheers,

Justin

Edited by JustinHoffman

Hey Brian,

Had a feeling these pics would get you pumped up! :thumbsup_anim: Unfortunately, it was a private lane to a farm, so I couldn't get as close as I wanted to for a better shot.

On my way home this morning, I saw upwards of 8 toms and a dozen or two hens. Sadly, it was in a field at the side of the 417. Stopping to take a shot wasn't an option :stretcher:

Good luck on the opener, bud.

Cheers,

Justin

Edited by JustinHoffman

Yeah, those 3 are TOMS! Aka Longbeards, jelly heads, strutters. They be running the show. If a Jake (1 yr old male) dared to display/strut around those toms he'd get an a$$-kicking!

Ah, I see you made the edit. Great pics Justin!!

Edited by BenBeattie

Thanks, RichyB. These birds didn't seem overly big compared to others I have seen, although I was a bit of a distance away. Would chances be they are "young" Toms - ie. 2nd year birds? Or do they look a full size to you guys that hunt?

Cheers,

Justin

Yes, and you can tell jakes because of the uneven tail fan and they have short stubby little beards. You can see those toms in your pictures have long beards 8-11" usually. If you're close enough too, Toms have long 3/4" to 1.5" spurs on their legs and Jakes just have little nubs for spurs. The guys I hunt with... we do not shoot Jakes because they are going to be TOMS the next year!! :thumbsup_anim:

I've noticed them strut'n in the of the local spots around Barrie.

There are actually quit a few flocks of Turkeys that live inside the City limits all year round. At least 4 that I can think of. They where on the strut all week across from where I work.