Santa Clara Cuba Fishing

troutologist

Yeah, I went fishing down there. Just booked it through the resort when we got there. 4 of us went and I think it was $120/ person or / couple. I can't remember. It was a very good time. Everyone caught barracuda except me. I caught a 15-18lb grouper. I think we were out for about 5 hrs. 4hrs fishing and an hour traveling in the boat.

Are you staying at Melia or hideaway or trhe new one. My wife and I went 2 years ago. We would take bikes or rent scooters and fish all the bridges and flats along the road. Caught snappers, jacks, tons of great fis[attachment. Ask chef for uncooked shrimp, and bring spider wire to wrap shrimp so the smaller fish don't steal it. Heres a few pics of roadside fishing, hope the work. My wife had a great fish on until a cuda grabbed it!

fish222.jpg

fish11.jpg

Edited by fishinmortician

A jighead and half a shrimp will catch pretty much everything. Cast it out as far as you can and rip it back with some big 1-2ft jerks... ladyfish, pomps, sharks, whitings, whatever..

Edited by BillM

Awesome...thanks! Hoping to be able to get out early most mornings while the missus is sleeping.

Looks like I'm going to have to brush up on my tropical fish ID skills!

I also stayed down there, at the Melia, and fished from a bike off the bridges. We had lots of fun doing that. Some neat fish to be caught for sure!

Bring a med heavy spin, lots of egg weights of varying sizes and LOTS of hooks in all sizes. We got our bait from the kitchen staff as well. We gave most of our fish to the locals. They seemed to really appreciate it, and were very helpful.

I can't wait to go back. Had a blast down there!

EDIT: Best time is when the tides change :thumbsup_anim:

S.

Edited by Sinker