Pike fishing

nlpaintballer

Went fishing with a buddy yesterday on mitchell lake, I got skunked other than a few follows and a 10 second hook-up with a muskie which made me feel like I was using a fisher girl setup.

My buddy ended up with a couple pike, an 18" and a 26" so the day wasn't a loss. Saw lot's of pike shallow as well as muskie. Water was already 58 degrees and the muskie seem to be spawning with the pike. Saw one 3' plus muskie with 5 pike around her, one of which was at least 30" long. Can't wait to see the size of the tigers a pair like that would produce.

Amazing July weather yesterday.021 (800x600).jpg

it's just the top few inches of the water. dive in 2' feet and lemme know how warm it feels.

water temps can be very misleading this time of year, particularly after a warm snap. a good wind will mix it up.

58 degrees is hard to believe but it's a small shallow lake with a dark mud bottom where there aren't weed beds. Some muskie we saw looked like they had just finished spawn, while others were just getting heavily into it.

Johnny, 30 isn't that big, but larger than the average, and if it was a male then it's a pretty good size.