Final Callander Bay ice fish

Nipfisher

Well March 15th has come and gone. It was a great season on Lake Nipissing in which I fished more days then ever before. Being out of work helped out with that. However, I was still on "dad duty" and that limited my fishing to starting after 8am and leaving the ice at 4:30. In that I missed prime time almost every outing.

I had a few really good days with multiple walleye and alot of days with just one keeper eye. The beginning of the season had lots of pike to be caught and the end of the season had more perch. This is the first year out of the last 17 that I can remember where the walleye had not yet come in shallow by season end. For the last couple outings we have fished 30 feet of water where we would normally target 17' and shallower. I wonder if they will be on time for the spawn finishing prior to the opening date?

Here are some pictures from March 15th. We had to leave the ice around 2:30pm to allow the thunder storm complete with hail to pass by. It was a good chance to grab another dozen minnows. We needed them.

We ended the day with over 30 perch and 2 walleye. 1 walleye was too small and the other was a keeper at 14". Of the 30+ perch we caught we ended up keeping 22 all between 8-12". Most were around 10-11".

Here is the are we fished.

CIMG2566.jpg

By mid-day we still had about 13" of solid ice.

CIMG2565.jpg

Here is a mess of perch and the 14" walleye.

CIMG2563.jpg

Close up for my imaginary sponsor (Thanks Moosebunk ;) ) Coors Light.

CIMG2562.jpg

Hopefully I get a few more walleye fishes in before the season closes in Zone 11. If not, I'll be ready to begin again in May long.

Edited by Nipfisher

Lonely indeed. I only saw a couple groups of fishermen out there.. and one truck wallbash.gif We "stormed" out of there when we saw lightling in the background. That marked the end of my Nipissing ice season for 2012. All those Simcoe rescues made me nervous as hell...even with 13 solid inches haha