Went fishing in the Kawarthas yesterday....

CIMG2203 (800x373).jpg..........................on a boat!:thumbsup_anim:

Went up yesterday with a friend to see if we could shore fish some pike, took the boat just in case and lucky for us the channel was wide open.

We were able to troll and cast the whole channel but unfortunately we didn't hook up with any pike. I did happen to hook 2 small muskie, one of which was a tiger, both were released as quickly as possible. It was nice being out on the water again, even surrounded by ice.

It almost came to that GBW, I was suprised that the channel was open since all the spots with a fast current were still frozen solid.

It all depends on where you're fishing Roy. Canal, Mitchell and parts of Balsam are full of pike now. Last year I was catching 10+ pike and taking my limit almost every time I fished Balsam/Mitchell. I don't like hitting the muskies, but if I get a couple pre-spwan female pike, I decrease the pike population by thousands, IMHO thats a good trade.

not to be rude; but you do know you are to pull ALL pike out of those 3 lakes, right? not a native fish and the MNR has stated to get them out. I think if memory serves, the MNR would be happy with a few of those pike for testing too. I know Canal is real bad and Balsam is heading that way too... :wallbash:

Lets not get him in trouble Geoff.. you have to follow the possession regs on pike.. you can't just keep throwing them up on shore fish after fish.

That I know and didn't mean it that way Wayne. I meant for him to contact the local CO (and I have the Minden CO's info if anyone needs it) if he's catching lots of them to have them reported and checked.

Yeah GBW, I don't understand why they don't make an exception for those three lakes and you to take as many a you can. It made no sense to me to call it an invasive species, but put a limit on how many you are allowed to take. I've even tried to give away pike to other boaters/people on shore and nobody wanted them, I don't know why....they're delicious.

They changed the regs this year and removed it from the invasive species list, and there are no warnings either online or in the regs. Maybe it's an oversight on their part or they are just giving up the fight, either way people need to know about the issue.