Livewell systems

grimsbylander

I'm going to replace the pumps, hoses, valves, etc. on my livewells this spring because there are not working quite as well as they should. Plus I think one or more of the hoses may be leaking. Regardless I cannot risk livewell failure so an once of pervention...My boat is a Ranger 487vs and it has the dual, rear positioned livewells. I can simply reinstall the same system that is there with new parts but I'd thought I'd get some advise on potential upgrades. Oxygenators? Pumpouts? I have "Empty" and "Auto" controls. Is "Empty", "Fill" and "Recirc" a better setup?

Thanks!

i suggest you check out www.bassboatcentral.com for advice on upgrades

on my ranger i replaced all the hoses, rebuilt the valves and installed 800 gph livewell pumps instead of the 500gph they came with

Those valves you rebuilt, were they the cable operated FlowRite valves? I was not aware they can be rebuilt. I've looked at pumps as well and the ones made by Rule seem to be popular.

Those valves you rebuilt, were they the cable operated FlowRite valves? I was not aware they can be rebuilt. I've looked at pumps as well and the ones made by Rule seem to be popular.

you can rebuild the flowrite valves cost is about 20 bux for both valves rubber flappers, you can also buy the new valves for 30 bux each.

i put the rule pumps in ss well, takes up a little more space in the bilge but they have replace main pump bodys so when they do burn out it's a quick change, they also have a extra port so you can attach a wash pump if desired, (my next project) good to quickly flush the cooling system on an engine when i suck up more lily pads and crap or cleaning livewells

you can rebuild the flowrite valves cost is about 20 bux for both valves rubber flappers, you can also buy the new valves for 30 bux each.

i put the rule pumps in ss well, takes up a little more space in the bilge but they have replace main pump bodys so when they do burn out it's a quick change, they also have a extra port so you can attach a wash pump if desired, (my next project) good to quickly flush the cooling system on an engine when i suck up more lily pads and crap or cleaning livewells

I did the same thing and adjusted the hoses for more room to mount my transducer on a 1989 Ranger.

Art

The hoses in my boat are getting hard from age and no doubt leaking.

I can replace the parts but I was just wondering if there are any "must haves" I should install while I'm at it. I've read about pump outs, aerators, etc. even dual bilge pumps maybe?

Any opinions from the group would be appreciated. Thx!