Lake Nipissing ice fishing starting late

kickingfrog

http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3420134

Ice fishing season starting late

By PJ WILSON The Nugget

Posted 6:00pm Dec 29, 2011

Billy Bob Richards is in no hurry to get out onto area lakes.

Not until there's been at least a solid week of low temperatures, anyway.

The ice fishing season opens Sunday, but because of the late start to the winter, the ice is nowhere near ready.

"I wouldn't want to go out on the main lake," says Richards, who owns Billy Bob's Bait and Tackle.

He says there was probably four to five inches of ice on Callander Bay by Wednesday, not enough for snowmobiles to travel safely. And open water has been seen off Sunset Point, where many fishermen park their cars and trailers while engaging in their pursuit of Lake Nipissing delicacies.

"Along the shoreline it's not too bad," he says.

He says the recent snowfall is even more deceiving, because several inches of snow sit on perhaps one inch of ice — far too little to support a grown man.

"I would walk out before you do anything," he said, adding this is one of the worst seasons he's seen in 25 years.

"A week of cold is needed before you can really go out," he said.

He pointed out that most operators have cancelled their first week of ice hut rentals on the lake, particularly over the deep water, effectively losing the first week of the season.

Scott Chalmers is one of the operators keeping his eye on the long-range weather forecast, hoping Environment Canada is right.

The opening days, he says, will probably be lost for Chilly Willy's Ice Fishing Adventures, but he expects the eight ice-fishing bungalows his company owns to be out on the ice by Jan. 6.

"If the forecast stays good, we'll be out for the first weekend," he says Wednesday. "We have cancelled (reservations) for the first few days."

Chilly Willy has eight bungalows — six-person ice suites he tows out onto the ice on the South Shore — and a number of day huts. But he wants at least eight to nine inches of ice before he tows out the larger units.

He said losing the first few days will not be a severe hardship.

"In '07 we couldn't put them out until 18-19 January," he says. "Over the last 10 years, this will be the third year we couldn't get out at the beginning."

Chalmers says his operation depends on weekend business, which looks promising for early January.

"Through the week, that's just gravy," he says.

Edited by kickingfrog

His doors are closed this year... he apparently announced it prior to the MNR's official announcement regarding the bait ban. I guess he saw it coming and since he mostly sells bait and not gear, he must think it's not worth opening up. I dont' know why The Nugget didn't report that information.

Edited by Rod Caster

Do you mean billy bobs?

No mention in this article. Maybe he's not open until fishing starts on Nipissing. dunno.gif

http://www.nugget.ca....aspx?e=3420136

Sorry, yes I meant Billy Bob's.

He's told some of the convenience stores that he won't be supplying them with minnows this year and other bait shops have also reported that he's not doing business this year. He may have personal reasons for leaving; I can't say for sure that it's because of the MNR announcment regarding Shiners from Simcoe/South.

The bait shops in North Bay are quite concerned over the recent bait ban since there are very few bait suppliers around and because the annoucement was made just before the season begins.

I guess the walleye will have to learn to eat chubs.

Last time I was in there his wife was working when I stopped in for minnows. I said "2 dozen shiners please" she replied "you'll get 2 dozen of whatever I scoop"... I ended up with a mix of dace and chubs. I haven't been back since, that was 3 years ago... too bad, i like the guy but thats no way to treat any customer let alone someone who was in there at least twice a week.

Last time I was in there his wife was working when I stopped in for minnows. I said "2 dozen shiners please" she replied "you'll get 2 dozen of whatever I scoop"... I ended up with a mix of dace and chubs. I haven't been back since, that was 3 years ago... too bad, i like the guy but thats no way to treat any customer let alone someone who was in there at least twice a week.

haha that's bad. I found Billy Bob was a nice guy. Still I prefer Trout Lake Bait (Bob's on the water), he's a great guy to talk to and gives you heavy dozens when he has lots of minnows.

North Bay Outfitters now sells bait too, they are on Lakeshore and have an impressive selection of gear and decent pricing.

Sorry, yes I meant Billy Bob's.

He's told some of the convenience stores that he won't be supplying them with minnows this year and other bait shops have also reported that he's not doing business this year. He may have personal reasons for leaving; I can't say for sure that it's because of the MNR announcment regarding Shiners from Simcoe/South.

The bait shops in North Bay are quite concerned over the recent bait ban since there are very few bait suppliers around and because the annoucement was made just before the season begins.

I guess the walleye will have to learn to eat chubs.

I heard today the Billy Bob's WILL be open this winter and he has LOTS of emerald shiners.

I don't know what he has for shiners, but my favorite bait guy (by far) in that area is Bowman's Live Bait in Nipissing village. Really healthy minnows with lots of size selection, and he's a super nice guy. I also think he supplies a lot of the local bait shops.