Canal Lake ice fishing ?

turtle

I am staying at a cottage on Canal Lk Jan 13th weekend and have plans to fish Simcoe with Tim Hales for perch. As a back-up plan if the operator doesnt have his huts out looking to fish Canal close to the cottage. Location appears to be in the n-w arm of the lake. Never fished Canal so looking for some advice. I understand its a shallow weedy lake with panfish and pike. Find the weed edges in 5-8 ft like on Scugog? Thanks.

I've fished Canal often, but never through the ice. I would assume you are right with the weed edges. It is a good crappie and Pike fishery.

I really wanted to post because I know there is a pretty good current moving through the main channel, I personally would be weary of the ice in that area.

Good Luck

I've fished Canal often, but never through the ice. I would assume you are right with the weed edges. It is a good crappie and Pike fishery.

I really wanted to post because I know there is a pretty good current moving through the main channel, I personally would be weary of the ice in that area.

Good Luck

Thanks for the info and the head's up about the current. I've had the unfortunate experience to watch OPP divers pull bodies out of a hole in the ice in a narrows area between two lakes where there is current and always lousy ice.