NF Question for the Pro Builder

Skipper D

I want to do a little reno in my shop over the holidays , would like to strap the walls with 1"x4"over the dry wall then cover with tin sheeting , question is , should i cover the wall with plastic over the straping before i screw the tin sheeting on or do i not have to worry about it ?

The shop was renovated back in the mid 80's and i see plastic sticking out along the sill , i've been in some buildings that have been covered in rib sheeting tin and seen frost on the walls and ceiling and did'nt want that to be the case in mine , so with the vapor barrier already there i should be safe ................

My advice....

Firstly make sure that VB is indeed inplace... alot of "home owners" place VB under the sill to prevent rot... instead of proper sill gasket. Simple way to be sure... remove a wall plate and look around the electrical box.

secondly, if VB is in place, do NOT install an additional layer.. as you will cause sweating and thus mold.

Hope this answers your questions. If you have any more feel free to ask.

G

since your covering the drywall over....punch a few discovery holes to see if each wall is vapour barriered.....shops /garages are not mandatory to be insulated so a building inspector has little to say about them at the insulation stage with the exception of a partion wall between "habitable space" and a garage....its pretty much what the builder wants to do....so your going to have to discover what he did do so you dont create a double barrier....(partiton to the garage/shop)

If this is a feestanding shop not attached to any habitable space then do your discover holes ....if there is no vapour barrier then proceed to use 6 mil polly on the warm side of the wall/strapping in this case...tuct tape everything with no penitrations/openings what so ever to perfection ( be anal at sealing everything around windows and transition to the ceiling)....

If you have any questions feel free to PM me ..

Merry Christmas

The shop is a free standing 28x36 w/h cathedral ceiling , i should tear it down and put up a new 40x40 but i'll reno the thing for one last time and make it last a bit longer . Years ago it was ok when it was used for personal use being dry walled , now its where a fair amount of welding / repairs takes place plus i'd like to be able to wash equipment in doors thru the winter instead of out side . So yes , the walls are insulated and has plastic barrier under the dry wall " i checked" . I just did'nt know what was needed to keep the frost from happening to the sheeting , looks like am good to go then . Thank you guys for your help , it sure feels good knowing when your not making a mistake from guessing . Thanks again for all the good info ............ Ron .

Edited by Skipper " D "