Recurve bow.

dhickey

If you haven't already done it, buy her an arm guard. Nothing will turn a kid off of archery faster than the sting of a bow string hitting their forearm. Secondly, classes with a qualified youth instructor will teach her proper form and keep her improving which will help maintain her interest in the sport. Once she's fairly competent with the bow, start her in some local indoor target shoots (either FITA or 3d). The competition and experience will help her shooting. Even if the ultimate goal is hunting, target is a good way to train and improve Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Old Man

If you haven't already done it, buy her an arm guard. Nothing will turn a kid off of archery faster than the sting of a bow string hitting their forearm. Secondly, classes with a qualified youth instructor will teach her proper form and keep her improving which will help maintain her interest in the sport. Once she's fairly competent with the bow, start her in some local indoor target shoots (either FITA or 3d). The competition and experience will help her shooting. Even if the ultimate goal is hunting, target is a good way to train and improve Just my 2 cents.

I agree compleetly with finding a qualifide youth instructor. But the problem is to find one west or south of Barrie.

Found 1 today south of Newwmarket on line (archery club) but it looks like they dont accept children under 14?

I bought both my bow and my daughters in Waterloo and they do offer training but the drive is a little to much.

As far as the accesories I bought them .

Her form is almost perfect for a child square to the target shoulders level elbow and anchor piont pretty good.

I want her to learn to shoot instictivly before I get all the bells and whistles.

Any how maby I should have chosen a differnt name for this post but if anyone knows of a good beginer course for children that have a srong intrest in archery I would aprieciate your input.

Thanks.

Don.

My hunting partner used to be a member of an archery club in that area.

I'll ask him, and see if they have a youth program. I'm pretty sure they do, his son was hard into the archery as a young lad.

Edit: Just got off the phone with my buddy, it was York County Bowman.. He hasn't been a member for a while, so couldn't comment on their youth program. But he suggested you check out their website. Likely what Old Man post below. Good Luck eh!

Edited by N.A.W

The club near Newmarket is probably the York County Bowmen.My link I checked out the Archers of Caledon site My link and they stated that 12 or up is their usual age limit, but " Younger students can be accommodated, separately, with private lessons if they have sufficient strength to use the archery equipment." . Hope this helps.

Edited by Old Man

Thanks for your intrest.

I plan on taking a look at The York Bowman club as it looks like a very reputable club I also saw a club that was based out of York University but aparently all its memberships are sold out.

Calledon sounds like it might work but I should do a little more resurch.

Again thanks.

If any other archers know of good tutors I am intrested not only for my daughter but myself as well.

Private lessons are not out of the picture.

Don.

Just to clear things up I grew up using a long bow without the bells and whistles and been shooting a compound for the last year and a bit.

Getting back into it and my little girl is very excited to learn how to shoot a bow.

As I am excited to .

For her and a proud Father.

Edited by saltydawg

Both York County and Caledon are established and reputable clubs. Some of the current members at Caledon are world class competitors, such as Crispin Duenas, who is a member of the Canadian Men's Recurve archery team along with my nephew from Winnipeg, Jay Lyon. You won't go wrong joining either club.