Challenging Day NF

HTHM

I had a challenging day today. Spent a long time on the phone with a co-worker who has been given a diagnosis of ALS. We were supposed to go fishing for rainbows tomorrow, but he called it off as he can no longer crank a reel.

I think of the country song, "To live like you were dying", well, he is living it. Unfortunately he cannot ride a bull, or parachute, but he can be the husband he should have been, giving forgiveness and love.

I do not know what I am trying to say currently, but maybe we should all look hard at how and what we live.

I just cannot imagine what he is going through losing his body, but not his mind.

Thanks for listening.

Edited by HTHM

It is a horrible disease. There is currently a television commercial that raises awareness for ALS. It has a footage of a soldier, husband, father, who can no longer hold his daughter. It makes me well up everytime I see it.

I wish him some inner-peace in dealing with this diagnosis.

Don't have any words of wisdom that would fit the circunstances, just love him as your friend, and share your courage with him.

Just a heads up. Maybe take a collection up, from his friends and familly, and get him a motorized fishing reel(if he really loves fishing)They are quite expensive, but are a great aid to handicapped anglers.

Paul