Gagnon Sport ice shelter sale

Cosmos

Hi guys,

Gagnon sport in Oshawa has this shelter for sale:

http://www.store.gagnonsports.com/index.php?product=AP-50207

Full information about it is here:

http://www.apoutdoors.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=1429528&DirectoryID=896

Looks like really nice shelter.

Would be great if somebody can share opinion or review about it.

I don't like only one thing - you can't remove windows.

The only down side is trying to set it up on a windy day. I saw one blowing to Buffalo one day as a guy was trying to set it up on Long Pt. Bay :wallbash:

I think it's a common issue for pop-up shelter. This one is looks good, because you can put an anchors to the skirt before you will set it up.

The only down side is trying to set it up on a windy day. I saw one blowing to Buffalo one day as a guy was trying to set it up on Long Pt. Bay :wallbash:

I have a pop up only its a Frabil 6X6,if you anchor the corners down before popping it up there is no problems with the wind.

Anchor first, but I'm sure you figured that out. It's a pain but manageable. Usually better then standing out in that wind lol..

Gagnon's has some awesome sales coming up on the mustang suits and bibs for people wanting to bear the cold. Plus you can't go wrong with a floater on the ice. They have so much ice fishing stuff in there right now, I can't wait until the lakes freeze over!

Went and picked the shelter up today. I already have a fish trap pro portable...but I wanted one of these for when I try and get the grandson on the ice for some fishing. This will give us lots more room.

I have it set up in the living room right now. The cat doesn't know what the hell is going on and is afraid to come upstairs :P

Went and picked the shelter up today. I already have a fish trap pro portable...but I wanted one of these for when I try and get the grandson on the ice for some fishing. This will give us lots more room.

I have it set up in the living room right now. The cat doesn't know what the hell is going on and is afraid to come upstairs :P

How do you like it?

Pop ups are pop ups. If I was only to have one shelter it would be a flip up..way better fishing shelter IMHO. Besides my grandson I have a few other friends and family who are not as keen on fishing as myself, who I would love to get out on the ice with me. This shelter is the way to go for that. It saves me the cost of expensive hut rentals and saves my friends and family the expense of getting expensive cloths/boots that they don't already own just to spend a day or two on the ice with me. They can always spend there own money on this stuff once I lure them to the dark side :devil: For now I'll just be happy for them to give it a go.

The shelter sets up pretty easily in my living room. I can see it being more of a challenge on a windy day. I would think it would be a 2 man operation on a real windy mother of a day. It has 4 wall pockets inside for storage and 2 big mesh storage nets in the ceiling plus a carabeener hook hanging from the center buckle in the ceiling to hang something on. A small light perhaps? Each wall has a good size clear plastic window and each window has a black material cover that you can velcro over it to darken up the interior. There are 2 covered over meshed vents in the ceiling for fresh air. The tent material itself feels really good. I'm real happy with how thick and sturdy it seems. That was my biggest concern going into this. Actual usage will determine if it stands up like I think it will. I always bring a small snow shovel to snow my hut in with and this shelter has a nice 9.5 inch...I measured it...skirt around the whole thing. For anchoring it they give you 4 ice anchors. Each corner of the hut has a grommet in the skirt to anchor through. Each sidewall also has an adjustable strap that you can anchor down as well. This in total would require 8 anchors...but they only give 4? Anybody out there own one of these style shelters? If so do you recommend I get 4 more anchors or can I make due with the 4 I have?

That's my review Cosmos I hope I was helpful.

:thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: Bring on the ice :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Edited by crappieperchhunter

That's my review Cosmos I hope I was helpful.

:thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: Bring on the ice :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Sure, it's really helpful.

Thank for that. I didn't pick up mine yet, bought it yesterday as well.

I thought the same way - in a windy day you need at least 7 anchors, 4 for skirt and 3 for sidewalls.

I picked up 5 of them on garage sale just in case for $2, which gives me total of 9 - and i should be fine.

crappieperchhunter,I think you need to get at least couple of them to have shelter seat properly on the ice.

For my old one pop-up i had only 4 anchors as well - and it was not enough.

Edited by Cosmos

I bought a used pop up shelter and it has 6 or 7 ice anchors. Yes, you should install 1 or 2 anchors (upwind)in the edge of the skirt when setting up the shelter on a windy day. I've set up my shelter on windy days and have had no problems.

There is a cheap shelter that can be bought for about 60 dollars but it rips easy and even 2 or 3 guys will have problems setting it up when it's windy.

I bought a used pop up shelter and it has 6 or 7 ice anchors. Yes, you should install 1 or 2 anchors (upwind)in the edge of the skirt when setting up the shelter on a windy day. I've set up my shelter on windy days and have had no problems.

This shelter has 4 anchors. I was thinking 2 in the wind side skirt and one front wall wind side and back wall.Is that enough or should I get more anchors for those real windy days?

This shelter has 4 anchors. I was thinking 2 in the wind side skirt and one front wall wind side and back wall.Is that enough or should I get more anchors for those real windy days?

I would recommend to get at least 2 more. See if you can get them cheap somewhere, otherwise try without them to see how do you like it.