Want to buy a good Drop Shot Rod

Guest Lundboy is Done

Guest lundboy

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a good drop shot rod (and a suitable spinning reel).

So far I've looked at the Shimano Crucial CRSDX68M or CRSDX72M.

Also want to have a look at the B-Pro Rick Clunn RCL662W0

Haven't considered any reels yet.

From what I understand a good DS rod is basically a good spinning rod that is medium, ultra-fast (which is what the Shimano is)

Any thoughts, other recommendations? I'm thinking of taking a look at St. Croix as well.

Thanks

Terry, last year I had 2 drop shot rods made for me by a custom builder on shikari and st. croix blanks. They are both revolver wrap (the guides start on top of the rod and end up on the bottom) baitcasting rods and I fished them with Chronarch MG 51s last year. Loved the rods, the reels I just couldn't get used to reeling a baitcaster left-handed so I sold them off. Will try MG 50s on em this year.

I haven't noticed a line twist problem on spinning with the 7'2" Crucial and a 2500 Shimano reel, but I do find it just more enjoyable to fish a baitcaster.

Charles

Guest lundboy
I would go with this combination:

G Loomis DSR822S ... 6'10" (Line 6-12lb; Lures 3/16-1/2oz; Extra Fast Action)

plus

Shimano Stradic MgFA ST2500MgFA (4BB+1RB; 6/200, 8/140, 10/120; Gear 6.0:1; 8.4oz.)

Wow!! I always wanted to get a G-Loomis, but a little out of my price range. I will take a look at it to compare though.

Guest lundboy

Thanks for all your great input everyone.....

And the purchase was....

Shimano Crucial CRC-D70M 7' casting

Ambassadeur REVO SX baitcaster real (I'm really partial to Shimano, they just didn't have anything in my price range that didn't feel or look cheap)

8lb Seaguar InvizX Line

and a LeBaron Club membership (suckered me again)

I chose the Crucial casting instead of the spinning, because of the way in which the spinning reels (I even tried on a Steeze 2500) caused a weird "torque" effect when I tried to twitch the rod side to side, it actually limited the movement to some extent. The casting though gave me far better control of the rod tip! (it was pretty hard to find the St. Croix that JP recommended, and the G-Loomis was just too much)

As for the reel, I wanted to keep the price under $200, and I tried the Currado, and Cittica which had less bearings, were heavier and the profile was higher. I almost went with the Diawa Viento which was also nice with the twicthin bar. I'll give the REVO a try for a while, and if it's a pain swap it out with one of my Castaics or buy something different at end of season.