NF: Tree Trimming

motv8tr

Depends on the type of tree. Most hard or soft woods should be pruned when there is no sap flow. That means winter.

Birch and nut trees should be pruned early spring.

Fruit and flowering ornamentals can be pruned in winter with an eye to more agressive pruning just before buds set and, in the case of fruit, before applying lime-sulfur. THis is for the purposes of better fruit set and yield.

Peaches or nectarines should be pruned during the bloom. Winter pruning can cause damage.

Late fall/early winter is the worst time to prune.

Edited by bigugli

Depends on the type of tree. Most hard or soft woods should be pruned when there is no sap flow. That means winter.

Birch and nut trees should be pruned early spring.

Fruit and flowering ornamentals can be pruned in winter with an eye to more agressive pruning just before buds set and, in the case of fruit, before applying lime-sulfur. THis is for the purposes of better fruit set and yield.

What he said.

ok, thanks, I have a Maple tree, Birch tree, one I'm not sure of, and a Lilac bush, so from what you said it should be the maple and Lilac now, and the Birch and to be safe the unknown early spring...I guess the Pine should also be done now?

Thanks for the help

Maureen

ok, thanks, I have a Maple tree, Birch tree, one I'm not sure of, and a Lilac bush, so from what you said it should be the maple and Lilac now, and the Birch and to be safe the unknown early spring...I guess the Pine should also be done now?

Thanks for the help

Maureen

Your best time would be to wait til January and 0 sap flow for the maple. lilac and pine. I

best time to prune the tree is when the saw is sharp. I have worked as an arborist for the past 6 years and have yet to see the time of year affect the tree in MOST cases. Newly planted trees and stressed out trees due to drought or disease are the exception. But more importantly is to make sure to do the proper cutting techniques (google the branch collar cut).

If your looking for best yield then i agree with the previous posters.

Just make sure you dont cut more than 1/3 of the tree's crown. Then you will run into some unhappy trees.

oh, and be careful, it isnt the fall that will cause the most damage, its the piece of wood/ladder that lands on top of you lol