st croix premier ice rods

peter23

going to buy a new rod for lakers and whities and ive been looking into the st croix premier ice rods. i was wondering if anyone had/has these before? how are they? and what action and size should i be getting because im ordering it offline and i dont want to make a silly mistake on the action of the rod lol

thanks!

Held these at the store multiple times before I ended up buying a 36"M Premier - Bought it this long because it has a reel seat.

To be honest, these rods don't bend very nice as they have spots on the rod where it doesn't want to bend to make the perfect curve. Some also seem to be splined wrong, famous in St Croix ice and open water rods. If you want to get one, just check those before you buy it.

My recommendation would be to get a simax ice rod...If you don't mind the pink tip :P

These bend better and if I didn't remember wrong, costs less.

Couldn't tell you about sensitivity...I caught 5 whitefish on Simcoe or something all winter last year, and when they hit, there was no mistaking. Both St. Croix and Simax worked well with spoons for perch though.

I have a UL St Croix Premier for perching. The only ice rod I have broke down and spent a little more $$$ then normal on...cause I had a gift certificate and figured what the hell.

Absolute junk...never again. The heavier ones for the type of fishing you plan on doing might be different. But I would never recommend there UL rods.

I have a UL St Croix Premier for perching. The only ice rod I have broke down and spent a little more $$$ then normal on...cause I had a gift certificate and figured what the hell.

Absolute junk...never again. The heavier ones for the type of fishing you plan on doing might be different. But I would never recommend there UL rods.

I agree with Terry.You havent fished if you havent used Thorn Bros ice rod . They are Grrreat

Greg

I use a MH and H 32" Premier rod for laker/whitey fishing (I might have the 34", need to double check that). I find the 32" a bit long for inside a hut, which I am rarely in, so they work for me. The newer rods are 36" and 42" and I believe these longer models have a reel seat as well (as mentioned) [just looked and now all rods 32" or greater have a reel seat, which also increased the price]. They are decent enough rods, but there might be better. I just haven't seen anything in a retail store that compares at that price point.

Edited by FishLogic