some news on the Ring of Fire

chris.brock

Money talks with a conservative government

this is mostly under Provincial control. The liberals and the OSC messed up already when Cliffs Resources took majority contol of the BiG Daddy deposit some time last year. The Government sat back while Cliffs bullied and paid off the small canadian exploration companies. Its pretty well all american owned now. I'm actually hopeful that the native groups will be positive influence on the this mining region.

this is mostly under Provincial control. The liberals and the OSC messed up already when Cliffs Resources took majority contol of the BiG Daddy deposit some time last year. The Government sat back while Cliffs bullied and paid off the small canadian exploration companies. Its pretty well all american owned now. I'm actually hopeful that the native groups will be positive influence on the this mining region.

Actually Environment Canada and Fisheries and Oceans have taken the lead on this one. Thats not to say the province is not involved they very much are but when it comes down the the final panel its the feds. I agree with you though that the big ace in the hole will be the native groups who will take a stand here as well. But as stated money talks even with them. I have seen it in many of my files I review. When push comes to shove though this will go through. All DFO can do is make sure it goes through with the least impact to fish and fish habiat possible. Their job is not to stop it, but mitigate it.

Edited by cjgraham

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Crazy stuff. And the gutting of the forestry industry has led to a lot of desperate communities so there is less opposition than there should be. Hell, Wawa is so desperate they are looking at storing nuclear waste for pete's sake!

These international mining companies won't give a damn about our country and how they treat it. The end result will be a catastrophe. It seems to me that money and greed always win and this won't be any different.

Many of our own companies, citizens and politicians don't care about the environment either.