Missing Rivet

Smitty1

Hi Guys

I recently noticed I had a leak in my boat after some detective work I found it was missing a rivet so my question to you is - how do I fix it?? I have a side console Princecraft and the missing rivet is under the livewell area - I really don't want to rip up the boat. I have been told use a closed end rivet - I believe I have cherry rivets are these the same??

What is the difference between cherry and closed end?

Another option I am told is try the epoxy steel stick - it is the putty that hardens like steel - just fill it in and smooth it out.

Any opinions or help is appreciated.

Thanks

Smitty

Any closed end self sealing pop rivet will work. Carefully drill out the old rivet, wipe down with acetone, put a drop of 3M marine grade silicone around the hole, insert the rivet, keep it square, and squeeze, and put another drop of the silicone over the rivet. This is the best repair.

http://www.hansonrivet.com/w22.htm

Michael

Hi Guys

I recently noticed I had a leak in my boat after some detective work I found it was missing a rivet so my question to you is - how do I fix it?? I have a side console Princecraft and the missing rivet is under the livewell area - I really don't want to rip up the boat. I have been told use a closed end rivet - I believe I have cherry rivets are these the same??

What is the difference between cherry and closed end?

Another option I am told is try the epoxy steel stick - it is the putty that hardens like steel - just fill it in and smooth it out.

Any opinions or help is appreciated.

Thanks

Smitty

PM me your address and I'll send you a few 3/16" stainless steel closed end blind rivets.

I use a little 3m 5200 sealer on the rivet shaft before inserting to really seal it tight.

closed end blind rivets