Suick users: some guidance please

singingdog

I picked up a couple of Suicks to round out my small musky arsenal. Threw them yesterday....they are nice and clean after a good rinsing :whistling: all the paint is still intact!

I am curious to hear how folks work them. As a newb, and someone used to higher-action baits, I am perplexed as to why they work so well (yes, I know they do): the action is incredibly subtle. Are folks fishing them like a jerkbait? Reeling very slowly? Any advice is appreciated.

Weighted or unweighted, I prefer the weighted variety and even add more lead to give more hangtime between jerks, for going over shallow weeds the unweighted variey will suite you better. I by two of each variey, one I will keep the back lip silver for overcast conditions, and the other one thats identical I will paint black or a solid color for sunny conditions, I do speed troll suicks alot which involves letting the suick out with about 50 to 60 feet of line, and with enough trolling speed to allow the slack to be picked up between jerks, hits are bone crushing, and hookups are much better than casting them. Every wooden bait has its own character and will usually act differently, due to wood density, knots etc, and as the paint dissapears hopefully due to muskie action, and the wood absorbs the water, the baits will really come into their own, but frequent tuning might be needed, I always remove the back hook, as 90% of the fish will take the bait towards the front, and will greatly reduce fouled cast from the back hook getting caught around the back lip. I do also cast them alot as well, but each bait will work differently as some might need a harder pull and others might need only a light pull to make them work optimal. With cooler temps jerkbaits come into their own, and the weighted variety will usually out produce the unweighted as the bait can be usually worked slower, also be sure to T the hooks as well to allow for better hookups