Late fall boat maintenance

Ok folks I want to keep the boat at home until I can't use it anymore and then it's going in my Uncles garage for the rest of the winter or atleast till the icebergs in the niagara stop floating down .My ??? is what do you guys do to keep your boats ready to go without suffering any damage from the frigid winter temps and still be reliable when I go out I think I may be able to get it into the garage late november but until then it's in the driveway with the cover on it .I have never had a big outboard before so I'm not sure whats the best way to do it I used to just put the 25hp in the basement thats not gonna work with the 90hp.

What I would do if your storing it outside is cover the motor from the elements. Make sure you keep the motor in the down position so all water drains out of it. You have to be careful of using it late in the fall. What might happen is you just went fishing on the weekend and park it. The temp. drops below freezing and any water left in the motor will probably freeze. That could cause you problems. Without being able to keep it in a garage with the cold temps. before you store it will be a concern. My garage always seems to stay above freezing late Nov. early Dec. so if I'm going to use it I won't have that issue. By then I will have winterized it and forget about it till next spring. One last thing is if possible to flush it with antifreeze after you use it. Don't know if that's possible. Maybe the tech guys on here can help out with that.

Ok folks I want to keep the boat at home until I can't use it anymore and then it's going in my Uncles garage for the rest of the winter or atleast till the icebergs in the niagara stop floating down .My ??? is what do you guys do to keep your boats ready to go without suffering any damage from the frigid winter temps and still be reliable when I go out I think I may be able to get it into the garage late november but until then it's in the driveway with the cover on it .I have never had a big outboard before so I'm not sure whats the best way to do it I used to just put the 25hp in the basement thats not gonna work with the 90hp.

Have the maintenance done and don't worry about the engine. Search Irish's old posts for a topic he did on winterizing for some livewell tips

I run my boat all year.

I have it serviced every spring.

In October, I change/check my lower unit oil myself.

I keep my batteries charged.

I put in the recommended winterizing amount of fuel stabilizer, starting in October and keep the tank topped up.

I immediately lower the outboard after I pull it from the River so that it can fully drain - then I trim it back up again for the drive.

I store it in my uninsulated garage.

I don't see any reason to winterize/fog it if it is going to be run once a month, as it sits that long sometimes during warmer months with no worries.

Not sure if this is right but this is what I do and I have had no problems.

Landry

Have the maintenance done and don't worry about the engine. Search Irish's old posts for a topic he did on winterizing for some livewell tips

That's the problem Dan I don't want to winterize it and the garage I am going to keep it in is insulated and heated most of the time so it won't go below freezing unless they go away and then I will throw in a little electric heater for a couple days .I always store the boat in the driveway with the motor covered and tilted down to keep the water out .Thanks for the link some really great tips in Irish's thread

I do the livewells and power washer as per the link Dan provided.... and at the same time I do my oil/filter and lower end oil changes. This does two things.. it makes sure there is no water in the lower unit(s) that could freeze/crack them and the few late fall trips put new fresh oil on everything for the winter layup period.

Excellent ideas in this and Waynes thread. Last year i left my smaller boat tarp covered in the yard.This year i bought an 11 X 16 car shelter, and am keeping my new boat in there.Problem is, my boat is 16ft, that means something will be sticking outmellow.gif .I will probably cover the motor with a tarp to keep the snow off.

That's the problem Dan I don't want to winterize it and the garage I am going to keep it in is insulated and heated most of the time so it won't go below freezing unless they go away and then I will throw in a little electric heater for a couple days .I always store the boat in the driveway with the motor covered and tilted down to keep the water out .Thanks for the link some really great tips in Irish's thread

I mean the yearly maintenance not winterizing, If you get it done before the winter you won't have to worry about water in the gear case etc.

IMO it is the best time to get it done.

Here is the maintenance link: http://www.mercurymarine.com/media/mercury/documents/0911_maintenance-2Stroke.pdf