Whats the best setup using roe for salmon with spinning gear

coreyhkh

Hey guys I was down at the river all day fishing I got two nice ones, one steel-head 15 and a salmon around 16 using lures everyone else seemed to be using roe though. My question is once I have the roe on the hook what types of weights should I use and how far up the line should it be? basically what is the best rig, am I right in thinking the roe should just be a bit off the bottom? Thanks

New to this salmon stuff.

o and is that roe you can buy in Canadian tire any good?

Edited by coreyhkh

Hey guys I was down at the river all day fishing I got two nice ones, one steel-head 15 and a salmon around 16 using lures everyone else seemed to be using roe though. My question is once I have the roe on the hook what types of weights should I use and how far up the line should it be? basically what is the best rig, am I right in thinking the roe should just be a bit off the bottom? Thanks

New to this salmon stuff.

o and is that roe you can buy in Canadian tire any good?

Err well I was out in Bronte for 3 days so far this season... first time salmoning as well. and... darn well salmon don't bite anything once they're in the rivers. So I'm surprised you got a salmon. Do you think the fish swam into the lure or did you see it strike?

If they do bite then your presentation matters... if they don't then you can have any kind of set-up and your odds will be the same =(

Regardless, the general rule of thumb is clear water/close quarters use a minimalist presentation (natural colours, very small amount of roe).

EDIT: You can use a small hook too, big fish doesn't necessarily mean big hook. I had one on for a few minutes on a #12 hook even. Float fish or "bottom bounce" with a split-shot up the line.

Edited by MichaelAngelo

Only ever fished for salmon once with Big Cliff and Photoz...reminded me of carp fishing...

We used a sliding sinker above a swivel then attached a three foot fluro leader with a #6 hook and a roe bag...all three of us hooked a salmon but none were landed...

This is also how we fished off Daytona Pier in Florida only we baited with shrimp...

The CT roe works in the runs but rarely in the pools where the fish have time to inspect it.

Easiest setup is a big split shot about 8 - 10 inches up the line from a #6 egg hook & your roe bag of choice.

With roe, you are pretty much snagging salmon in the mouth. Steelies & browns however, will actually eat it.

On the other hand, salmon do continue to bite lures out of aggression/annoyance. Keep casting your lure around a salmon and eventually he will get angry and strike.

Hey Corey, here's an illustration to help you out, the only thing I would change is the line size when fishing for salmon or even trout in larger waters, you can get away with heavier line; 8-12lb main line and 6-8lb leader line...

floatrigging1.gif

Edited by J-M

The people who are still fishing for salmon will use roe bags with floaters in them or they may use marshmallows or perhaps even a cigarette butts are hoping that a salmon will swim into their line and hook themselves. This type of fishing is sometimes referred to as lining and is frowned upon by most serious steelheaders. Once a salmon enters the river they stop eating and die by having their flesh decompose on their body. I agree with the last post when he said that you can catch them with repeated casts of a lure to trigger their aggression factor. I do not fish for salmon, but concentrate my efforts in holes below where i see them hoping to find steelhead feeding on their eggs. I cringe when I see someone taking home a half decomposed fish,but if they are snagging salmon for eggs I would rather see them take the fish out rather than having it thrown in the bushes. If you are determined to fish for salmon stick to the piers and use lures or fish the rivers using the same lures. If you want to eat a salmon eat a pier salmon but never a river salmon. In 40 years of steelheading I think that I've only caught about 6 salmon that hit or lined themselves on a bait under a float.