live target color change

whitbyboatguy

Some of their colour patterns are available in "natural" and "metallic" (perch, sunfish, bluegill).

It may have been coincidence that you noticed that difference between different models.

Your right! thanks.

Any idea what is a better finish????? I was thinking metallic...the natural looked like a super faded version of metallic.

Your right! thanks.

Any idea what is a better finish????? I was thinking metallic...the natural looked like a super faded version of metallic.

Those live target baits are insanely realistic. Sometimes I wonder if its a bit overkill in terms of attention to detail, not sure if the fish cares. But, who am i to say, they may prove deadly in clearer water..

In theory the metallic finishes are better on sunny days when they will have added "flash."

On dull days KVD recommends painted lures and blades for higher visibility.

I found I had more hits on these baits when I slowed down the retrieve. Unlike regular crankbaits, that only give a general impression of the living thing, these lures are really hard Swimbaits. Being ultra realistic, letting the fish get a good look at them is a good thing.

Edited by garry2rs

Yep, slow down -- metallic on sunny days -- more colour and slower retrieves on dull days. Even completely pausing the retrieve for a looooong time when the bite is off...especially for fall bass -- VERY hard to just sit there with a jerk or crankbait, but if it's a suspending model just leave it there...you can wait up to 2 or even 3 minutes, then twitch it and BANG! Deadly on slow days...I can hear you thinking "that doesn't work"... but believe me, it works...

Talking about the colour of them, I've noticed subtle differences among the same models. I was looking for the perch pattern with a shallow lip the other day....LeBaron had two rows of them hanging side by side. Both painted, not "chrome". One set of boxes had a sticker on them saying diving depth was 1-2 feet. The other set was obviously the same diving lip, and I confirmed by reading the package, that they dive 1-2 feet.....depsite the boxes having no sticker. One set had far more green in the paint, and a more prounounced bright spot near the mouth, while the other set was more subdued.

I've been doing really well with green on the lake I had in mind while shopping for these....so I naturally grabbed the "greener" of the two.

Also noticed that same thing with some discounted rapalas (just can't go to LeBaron and buy ONE lure :lol: )....same models, same size and colour, but more detail on one vs another.