Carrying Box for a ATV ?

Fish Farmer

I know a few OFC guys have built one. Is there any plans out there or you just wing it. I'm drawing up plans but looking for some tips. :worthy: I want to put it on my front racks to carry some gear and my power auger. Anyone have any pictures or tips they want to share with a want-a-be ice traveler. :)

Thanks

The Farmer

Ah the ATV box. Mines still sitting on the top shelf in the garage, little too early to hook it up to the ATV.

Mine is just a plain rectangular box 40" long, 14" high and 14" wide made of 3/8th ply. The inside corners are reinforced with 1"x 1" hardwood, glued in. A couple of healthy sized strap hinged for the lid. The auger lays on top, the motor end has 1 support that is machined from hardwood to hold the handle, 1 right by the gearbox at the joint and 1 "U" shaped bracket at the auger end. One ratchet strap holds the auger on top, it doesn't move. The box itself is bolted down with 1/4" stainless bolts and nyloc nuts with large fender washers inside the box. My rack on the back has 6 pre stamped holes, worked perfect. It holds most of the fishing equipment. I have an oversized "milk crate on the front, bolted down, it's for the minnow bucket and heater.

Some day I may build another, if you go with wood, I would strongly suggest to go and see the 7/16ths"(11mm) Birch ply at Home Depot, they have it in smaller 2'x4'and 4'x4' pieces, not expensive and finished both sides. This stuff doesn't splinter like regular GIS ply or PT, and paints very well. For glue I would use Gorilla Glue, excellent stuff, once dried it becomes waterproof.

Ah the ATV box. Mines still sitting on the top shelf in the garage, little too early to hook it up to the ATV.

Mine is just a plain rectangular box 40" long, 14" high and 14" wide made of 3/8th ply. The inside corners are reinforced with 1"x 1" hardwood, glued in. A couple of healthy sized strap hinged for the lid. The auger lays on top, the motor end has 1 support that is machined from hardwood to hold the handle, 1 right by the gearbox at the joint and 1 "U" shaped bracket at the auger end. One ratchet strap holds the auger on top, it doesn't move. The box itself is bolted down with 1/4" stainless bolts and nyloc nuts with large fender washers inside the box. My rack on the back has 6 pre stamped holes, worked perfect. It holds most of the fishing equipment. I have an oversized "milk crate on the front, bolted down, it's for the minnow bucket and heater.

Some day I may build another, if you go with wood, I would strongly suggest to go and see the 7/16ths"(11mm) Birch ply at Home Depot, they have it in smaller 2'x4'and 4'x4' pieces, not expensive and finished both sides. This stuff doesn't splinter like regular GIS ply or PT, and paints very well. For glue I would use Gorilla Glue, excellent stuff, once dried it becomes waterproof.

Thanks Fisherman

I'll most likely go with the plywood because I've got it already.

Size I have worked out for my rack is 34"x16" and 12" high.