Odd question about salmon

bigredfisher

Only one reason why you may find a fresh hen laying on the side of the river and if you did I don't think she would have any eggs left in her but thats another thread all in its own.

Heres my solution....

Use fly's instead of roe. We always have a few incidental hook ups with aggressive salmon during early fall steelheading. I'm sure this would be more effective if we targeted the salmon earlier in their run. I find bigger fly's get their attention better.

Good Luck !!

Hows it goin??? My question is rather than me killing a fish for roe, would it be legal and more ethical if I were to find a fresh dead hen and take those eggs??? I just hate keeping fish and I thought this might just be the best bet. Thanks

you gotta realize the salmon are as good as dead once they are heading up the rivers... so being concerned for the fish itself is kinda pointless... the concern is more with the eggs shes carrying up the river to lay and hatch and populate whatever great lake your on...

if you need roe... killing the fish is usualy the only way to go... ive seen people milk the salmon for the eggs... but like i said... the fish is gunna die anyways... so you might as well slit her open and give it away if you dont eat em...

thats the nature of the beast when your fishing with roe... just make sure you use every last egg out of the fish so you dont have to harvest females as often...

my 2 cents

you gotta realize the salmon are as good as dead once they are heading up the rivers... so being concerned for the fish itself is kinda pointless... the concern is more with the eggs shes carrying up the river to lay and hatch and populate whatever great lake your on...

if you need roe... killing the fish is usualy the only way to go... ive seen people milk the salmon for the eggs... but like i said... the fish is gunna die anyways... so you might as well slit her open and give it away if you dont eat em...

thats the nature of the beast when your fishing with roe... just make sure you use every last egg out of the fish so you dont have to harvest females as often...

my 2 cents

Those two cents make a lot of sense! *groan*

If you are reasonably close to a fish-cleaning (Port Hope has one,there must be others around) station, just watch when someone goes in to clean their fish . . . . most just disgard the roe. Often there is a few pounds fresh roe just laying in the garbage. Beats killing a fish, then finding somebody who wants it?

my 2 cents

Good reply. Might as well sacrifice for a few. As long as your within your legal limit, there is no issue. As mentioned above, only harvest what you will use. I know some guys who's freezers are stacked with roe from years and years ago. Take only what you need :)