Fly fishing

aquaman456

I've been fishing for a number of years now and i'm looking to take up fly-fishing next spring. Im just looking for suggestions on a decent newbie set of equipment. Money is no object here and I don't plan on "cheaping out" but i'd rather not spend an arm and a leg. Ideas/suggestions anyone?!

There are good deals to be had if you shop around. Sage has discontinued their VT2 and Z Axis blanks, which are both great and the lifetime warranty is still valid. You might be able to find these rods 40-50% off.

IMO there are two companies you should check out for entry level fly set ups. The first is Amundson. They are a small BC-based company that makes great rods for a great price. I own a 8.5' 4 wt and a 7-8wt spey, both have a great feel and didn't break the bank. Also, their pro staffer for Ontario is a member of these forums so he might chime in on some deals.

The other is TFO (temple forks outfitters), read a couple reviews and you will see that these rods have a ton of happy customers. They are pretty inexpensive and good quality. Most people complain that they don't come with rod tubes - to each their own, but check out the Lefty Kreh line.

Whatever you decide on, cast it and go with the one that feels the best for you. Fly fishing is something that is highly subjective and everyone has their own opinions of what is best. You might want to look at Costco, in the past they have sold a Sage Flight combo that comes with rod, reel, backing, fly line and leaders. It's a good deal

First question you need to answer for yourself is what species you want to target.

Different Rods for different species, and different flies as well. You wouldnt want to use a 4wt for steelhead, salmon, pike, etc. And you wouldnt want to use a 8wt for small creek trout fishing.

Best advice would be to hit up a fly shop and try out a few rods. Talk to them, tell them what you want to target and they'll get you started with the gear you'll need to do that.

Where abouts might you be? I know quite a few fly shops in Ontario, and might be able to point you in the right direction.

wow thanks for the great feedback guys! very much appreciated! Im located just near waterdown. I hear theres a good fly fishing shop there? Sounds like ill have to make a trip! Im not after any huge fish but id love to do some trout fishing for sure.

Really appreciate all your input guys! thanks!!

Grindstone Angling is in Waterdown on Mill St. I picked up a 9' 5 wt 'Act 4' model manufactured by Guideline from Grindstone and have been very happy with it.

Some people on the board have issues with the way they were treated by staff members at fly shops...I've been fly fishing for about five years and still get intimidated when I go into some shops because of the elitest, know-it-all attitude of the staff. I haven't had any problems at Grindstone. I haven't been there for a while but there was/is a younger guy named Tom there who was always pretty helpful. You might even run into Bill Spicer from the fly fishing show on WFN. Good luck!

If I could have any fly set up on the market, it would be a Temple Fork Outfitters Clouser Rod (8 wt. for the river, 4 wt. for trout streams). Check BPS and Cabela's for sales. Cabela's was selling one of their combos for $29.99! I'll see if I can hunt down the link.

EDIT: Sorry, I was too late :( It was this combo... Still a good one for the price: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Rod-Reel-Combos/Fly-Fishing-Rod-Reel-Combos|/pc/104793480/c/104762880/sc/105571980/Cabelas-Cahill-Fly-Rod-and-Reel-Outfit/732362.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-rod-reel-combos-fly-fishing-rod-reel-combos%2F_%2FN-1104843%2FNs-MIN_SALE_PRICE%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104762880%26WTz_stype%3DGNU%26pcrid%3D8460768138&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104762880%3Bcat105571980

Edited by NateFollmer

Probably a 4 or 5 weight rig with a weight forward floating line would be a good place to start for you.

If you can make you way up to Guelph stop in at The First Cast - great guys there who will set you up with what you need not what they happen to have in stock.

Dan

Edited by dannyboy