Red Lake Ice Out

John Glynn

I would have said an early ice-out, but with the turn back to cold, I would say that it still has a chance to be a normal ice-out time, but expect it to be more on the late side than early. It's supposed to start warming up again this week (although with lows in the -teens). If it turns warm after next week, it could still be normal, but if it stays cool, I'd bet on a late ice out. I'm out in Winnipeg, and have been dying to get at 'er, so I've been watching the conditions religiously of late. (Not for Red Lake, though... I want to get going SOONER than that ;) )

Red Lake is relatively deep and usually late to have ice leave, but the Chukuni River will be open and you'll be able to land on shallow lakes to catch tons of walleyes and huge pike.

I want it to break up 2 or 3 days before I arrive. Let the fishing begin.

A day or two I posted some ice pictures for the Red Lake area from back in 2002. I'll try to bump the thread to the front page.

I expect ice out will be around the 2nd weekend of may, if the temps stay up. If we ever get any rain of any significance, it will be sooner. Right now, the ice is only evaporating, and guys are still driving on lakes up here.

There is still 3 feet of ice and no water on top of it. with the warm temps expected, next week I hope to see some water in the creeks flowing into the lake and starting the melting process.

• 2 weeks later...

On Gullrock, just south of Red Lake, the shoreline has water between the ice and the shore and Bug River is open to the entrance to the Lake. Red Lake is usually a week behind Gullrock in opening and if we keep getting the warm temperatures I think Gullrock will be open within the next 2 weeks.