Boat Insurance

anders

Looking to get boat insurance and just curious to see if there is any recommendations out there from the boat owners that have it?

Thanks!

I added mine to my home insurance. The Co-operators have an extra rider on the policy that allows me to do it.

$1000 Ded. Basic Insurance per yr, Liability was $48. Fire, theft, Damaga and Liability was $98 yr

I have a 93' Fisher SV 3 SC. Paid around $5k for it, I am assuming price goes up with the value of the boat though.

Just remember, the down side to putting a rider on your house policy is that any claims you make on the boat (like getting a new lower unit after you hit a rock) count as a claim on your house policy, and can result in a rate increase.

It's worth asking about a separate policy altogether.

When I lived in Ontario my boat ins was through Meadowvale Ins. Brokers and the policy was with Dominion of Canada. Great policy (full replacement cost) and great pricing (300 and change a year on my $20K boat).

If I can share an important tip. One item you should be sure you inquire about is uninsured boaters coverage. like uninsured/underinsured motorists coverage for your car, this protects you if you're hit by a boat with little or no liability coverage. Just look around on the water next time and you can figure out that a lot of rigs probably have no insurance on their boat. Given that, and the fact that many boaters don't follow rules for safe boating, this coverage is a no brainer in my humble opinion. And it's cheap--probably less than $50 on your policy. I have 300K coverage on my boat through Boat U.S.

Something to think about and ask your agent about.