question about brook trout lake

adolson

There's a lake I've seen and was considering trying out sometime. It is reported to have brook trout, but it isn't a stocked lake (at least it isn't on the most recent MNR list of stocked lakes). I saw a little campsite + fire pit there, so I know people have tried it, but I dunno if they were successful.

However, the deepest part of the lake is said to be about 7 feet, and the average depth is about 3.5-4 feet. This seems kinda shallow to me. The lake surface area is about 5 hectares.

Would you try the lake, given this description? Or is it a waste of time? There are some stocked lakes around, and one of them is close to this one but I checked it for a public access point and couldn't find it. I'm waiting on the MNR to get back to me with details on if there is one for that lake.

I really don't know much about fishing for any kind of trout (obviously I can't catch aurora trout, we all know that), so I thought I'd try getting my feet wet on brookies first. I was planning to try out the following lures: Mepps Aglia or Panther Martin spinners, or a Little Cleo or small Williams Wobbler spoons... Does that sound right? Most of my kit is dedicated to bass and pike right now, just because that's mainly all I ever targeted but I'm looking to expand my horizons.

I don't have a fly fishing setup, but I am interested in going that route sometime. I just don't know too much about it, if you have to spend the big bucks or can get away with a cheap combo, where it works, etc. But that's another post for another time, maybe.

At 7 feet, you will not find brookies in the summer unless there are cold springs feeding the lake. This time of year, try the creeks that flow in and out in the area, I bet you'll find a few.

Your lure selection should work ok, but you'll have better luck using a go-getter (small mono-line spinner with single hook) and worm, or just a hook and worm. Also with the specks, I'd recommend pinching the barbs on the hook, this way you can release the small guys without tearing a hole in their faces.

Good luck, you are in the right area for speckies... Try those creeks!

From my experience that lake would be teaming with brookies in the spring, but it would be hard to locate them right now. If you wanted to give it a go you could try trolling a worm harness, or a spoon tipped with a bit of crawler. If there are cold springs in the lake the brookies will be concentrated near them. Once you locate the springs stop trolling and cast into the area. However if there are no cold springs all you will be doing is giving your lures a good wash.

You would be much better off going to another lake. 7 feet maximum depth is not enough. The water in this lake surely gets way to warm for brook trout. Brook trout prefer cooler water and I doubt that the lake you mention even has enough oxygen in mid summer to support brook trout.

If you decide to go brook trout fishing in a one of the lakes where the MNR does do a bit of stocking, your best method of fishing at this time of the year is to fish from the deep water in front of a small cool stream that feeds the lake.

Cast towards the inlet into about 10 to 15 of water using very light clear mono (2 to 4 lb test) with only a small good quality hook like a Gamakatsu Octopus size 10 or 8 and the head portion of a big lively nightcrawler.

Thread the nightcrawler on the hook so that the point of the hook is exposed about halfway down towards the tip of the head. The portion of the nightcrawler should be about 2 inches long and it should look like a leech and not like a big "J" that I see so often fishermen do when the want to hide the point of the hook.

When you cast towards the inlet, do not close the bail on the spinning reel. Let the line spill off the spool while the worm slowly falls to the bottom. You will see the floating mono moving until the worm is on bottom.

When the worm is on bottom, wait a for a few seconds and then slowly raise your rod tip about 12 inches so that the worm lifts off the bottom. Let the worm slowly return to bottom and reel in the slack line. Raise your rod tip again and let the worm slowly return to the bottom again. Keep doing this until the worm is directly under the boat. Slowly raise the worm to the surface and repeat the whole operation again.

If you don't get a strike within 20 minutes of fishing, change the worm and go to the next inlet. If there are spots where there is even deeper water....try the same technique. If you don't get any strikes.....there are no trout in that lake.

I decided to look for some creeks, but the water level is so low that most places I found were super shallow, no flow, and no fish in the ones I managed to toss a line into. Someone was fishing in one of them (Wabi Creek, I believe) because I saw dead bait on the side of the road, along with bread. And the bait was massive.. I've caught perch and rock bass smaller, heh.

I ended up at a public launch for Montreal River and caught three small pike but then I felt like crap so I went home.