Gas Venting and Battery Vapour Question

baironhorse

I have a 16ft. alum v-hull fishing boat- have three batteries and a gas tank placed in the following order start battery (24class), gas tank, and two 27 class 24v for TM. This is the only way it will all fit back there. Its under a bench/platform with a hole on top of platform large enough to fit the gas line and primer bulb to engine. On the front of the bench/ platform has a drawer that swings down. Its aluminum and carpeted so it matches platform and floor..Wish I had a pic but do not. Since everything is tight together- the batteries are strapped down and they all have rubber terminal covers on them and the hot lead to TM I cut out an old rubber bike tube to cover breaker +ve(post style auto parts store)...Since boat does not have a blower I get spooked about gas vent and hydro vapors igniting..I know this could happen with a spark from sloppy connections..My batteries terminal rings are tightly secured and terminal protectors on top all around. I can open drawer for 5 min to air out but as you spend day on water this slips my mind at times and find it closed (although there is hole above for gas line)..gas line doesn’t leek and all ok ......Just want to be safe and not be a floating bomb.. it’s my first boat and I’d rather not b.b.q my a.s.s..your thoughts....does having terminal protectors and making sure everything tight along with gas line hole opening to engine ok safe ..or should make some sort of divider b/w batteries and tank ....in your opinion??

I would buy four of these vents and mount 2 in the flip down door and two in the top of the compartment. I would use the 5X9 inch versions to let as much air through as possible. You can just rivet them in place once you make the cut out for them.

I'd seriously consider separating the batteries and the gas tank. If you ever heard or felt what it is like to see a battery blow up while on the lake, you will heed my advice.

I posted about a month ago how just as I started the motor, my battery blew up on me (the explosion was so loud and the acid spewed everywhere eating up a bunch of wires as well). Luckily the battery was in its own compartment which was made of aluminum all around. After a few days I realized there was a short that was caused by some pinched wires and as I went to start the motor, I guess the battery was so heated at this point that it blew...needless to say if my gas tank was near it, I am sure we would not have walked away with only having to replace the battery.

I was think of moving the front drawer and using a cargo mesh as the enclosure just to be safe as I have no other choice in termes of relocating tank!

I'd seriously consider separating the batteries and the gas tank. If you ever heard or felt what it is like to see a battery blow up while on the lake, you will heed my advice.

I posted about a month ago how just as I started the motor, my battery blew up on me (the explosion was so loud and the acid spewed everywhere eating up a bunch of wires as well). Luckily the battery was in its own compartment which was made of aluminum all around. After a few days I realized there was a short that was caused by some pinched wires and as I went to start the motor, I guess the battery was so heated at this point that it blew...needless to say if my gas tank was near it, I am sure we would not have walked away with only having to replace the battery.