any electricians?

jedimaster

Hey,

Just wondering. I took down 2 lights and one fan from my kitchen and dining room and replaed them all with new lights. They work and everything is fine with them. But now in my living room nothing works. Two of the lights had 3 wire colors with a slew of lines in them. I think its a common neutral or something. I hooked up the white and red wires to the new lights and put a morret on the blacks(I think those were constant on for the fan control). But I think this wire also feeds the outlets in the living room. I remember I had this happen before to me in a different room, but I can't recall how to fix it.

Check your switches to see how many wires are on the actual switches themselves. Sounds like you have interupted the "traveller" or "feed" on a 2 or 3 way switched line that may have controlled or fed the outlets. There's about 10 different ways it can be wired up, try googling 2 way and 3 way switch wiring to get the schematics. If you are not comfortable with this you will need an electrician or someone with some experience. Most big box stores like Home Depot have displays showing how this is done (most common method) that will be a big help as well.

Good Luck!

Michael

I'm an electrician...so if I was there with my multimeter I could figure it out. Not being there and only having a "layman's" explanation of the problem and process that led to it, it's hard to troubleshoot.

-

Household wiring is not a hobby...you might consider contacting a licensed tradesman...it sounds like you're in over your head. There are times I need to defer to (pay) mechanics, carpenters, plumbers or whomever to do stuff I can't do. I think that's where you're at.

I'm just throwing this out there...Do you have any GFI outlets on the circuits you were working on?

I have seen in the past entire rooms wired downstream of a GFI outlet and when the power was turned off and on again the GFI tripped and everything downstream is dead. Its worth a quick check to test/reset any GFI's you have.

Rae

Get a qualified electrician for this one. Seems as though you got a complete blender in the makes. This is not something to fool around with. I wouldn't even try to attempt to explain it over the internet on how to repair this.