Penn Reels - Backing Yardage

SlowPoke

Just finished spooling up some trolling reels at Lambeth Rod & Tackle (shameless plug for a good guy).

Penn 209: 185 yrds 20lb mono under 150 yrds 30lb Power Pro

Penn 309: 150 yrds 30lb mono under full 10 colour 27lb Cortland Leadcore under 10 yrds 20lb fluoro leader.

Hope this helps anybody getting thier trolling rigs ready.

-Brian

Guest mistyriver1

My exact two trolling reels as well Brian. I've had them both for over 25 years, great reels !!

Got them on Shimano TDR's.

Got 45 pound Courtland on one and bought some of the BPS braid (50#) to try at their spring sale.

The Penn 209's are for downrigging salmon on Lake O with a Daiwa Heartland 9'6" H. They will also make due for Muskie/Pike trolling rods.

The Penn 309 Leadcore will be used on Lake O and Lake E on an Abu Garcia "Fishstik" 8'6" M. Ready for bows, eyes and salmon but will likely find sheephead and silver bass.

The trolling arsenal as it stands now...

(2) Penn 209 / Daiwa Heartland Heavy 9'6" (Salmon downrigging / Muskie inlines and planer boards)

(1) Penn 309 / Abu Garcia Fishstik Medium 8'6" (Leadcore)

(2) Shimano TR200G / Shimano Triton Medium 8' (Salmon, bows, eyes downrigging and planer boards)

(1) Shimano Triton 300 / Fenwick Riggerstik Medium 9' (Salmon, bows, eyes downrigging and planer boards)

(1) Daiwa Great Lakes 47LC / Okuma Blue Diamond Roller Med-Heavy 8'6" (Wire line dipsy)

Yet to buy...

(2) Linecounters for dipsy and muskie trolling. I'm thinking Convectors or SG47's but may splurge for Tekota's. If I go the cheaper route I'll put them on Daiwa Heartland dipsy rods. If I splurge for the Tekota's I will probably spend extra money on rods too... Talora's maybe. I'm worth it ;)

Oh, almost forgot, need a rod rack!

-Brian

I bought 2 - Penn209's for downrigging and have them on 8' 6 TDR's. One of the 209's puked a gear on it's third use last year, but of course more than a year after I bought it. Sent it to Rocky's Tackle and had it repaired for less than $25 (mind you they're only an $85 reel). Hopefully they put up with some usage this time around.

Yet to buy...

(2) Linecounters for dipsy and muskie trolling. I'm thinking Convectors or SG47's but may splurge for Tekota's. If I go the cheaper route I'll put them on Daiwa Heartland dipsy rods. If I splurge for the Tekota's I will probably spend extra money on rods too... Talora's maybe. I'm worth it ;)

-Brian

Go for the Tekota 600LC for your musky poles Brian, absolutely the best trolling reel I've ever owned !!

Go for the Tekota 600LC for your musky poles Brian, absolutely the best trolling reel I've ever owned !!

I'm already sold on that reel Lew but they're a big chunk of change!

I still want to upgrade my riggers, add 6 Down Easters, Bert's Tracks, Bert's Mast, upgrade the fishfinder, replace my floor, add a built-in fuel tank, upgrade to a 4 stroke kicker... I wish I could afford to do it all at once but some things may have to wait.

The boat was the cheap part!

-Brian