Walleye Rig

Steve_R

I love SLOW DEATH I was on board with this set up from year 1 they work great.

I use 5-6' lead from my bottom bouncer. I will also just use split shots if i am fishing very shallow.

Try using Gulp turtle back worms I like the light watermelon color ones I will use just 1/2 of them I always start with the thick end of teh worm and see how the bite is if its slow I will then use the back half with the curly tail this will get them going.

The best part of using turtle back is the perch and rock bass don't steel the worms and you only hook up the biggest rockies and perch.

Give it a try you will not regret either.

well I like to use them with a little piece of worm maybe half to one inch sticking out past the hook

I use them when the mayfly hatch is happening..... I think it looks like the larval form of the fly....it works

but don't tell anyone

Havn't had that much luck with them myself, and I've used the rig a lot.

That's not to say I havn't caught any on a slow death rig, but I still catch more walleye with a simple live bait rig. Slip sinker,long light leader, single hook and an air injected whole crawler.

I've had mixed success with them.

Hammared the bass on them trolling on the French last year, but no pickerel.

Caught a bunch of pickerel on them last year on G-Bay.

But last time I went out, I got seriously out fished by a guy using a worm harness. Later in the morning, the guy got snagged up, and lost a hook on the worm harness, so he tied on the slow death hook to the worm harness and kept catching fish.

The speed is very important, and the placement of the worm to get it to "twirl" just right. I generally have to use a GPS showing my speed to maximize my sucess. Different speed for different conditions. Usually between 1 to 1.5 km/h.

I use it behind a slip sinker, with 4 to 5 feet of flouro leader for 5 to 20' range. And about 5 to 6' of flouro behind a yellow and orange bottom bouncer for anything deeper.

Might be a fluke, but I prefer the red hook.