Ear Falls Area fishing

wildminnow

I just got home from the foggy area of North Bay and flew over Ear Falls this morning. Snow was dumped on the area on Monday and Tuesday and the current temp is -15 with a wind chill of -30. So the answer to your questions are Lac Seul , Packwash Lake and the Winnipeg River are great fishing areas once the ice goes. and there is still 3 feet of ice on the lakes up here.

Last year the ice went out the last week of April so it was about normal. Usually by opening weekend the ice has been gone for 2-3 weeks. However it was -20 again last night and won't warm up again until early next week so I'm just hoping the ice is gone by opening day.

I've been in Elliot Lake now for 27 years and the earliest I've seen the ice go was April 15th. That was probably 82 or 83 and it's not going to happen this year. I've also watched the ice go out in the 3rd week of May. This is just Elliot Lake, some go a little sooner and some later.

Here's Red Lake for the 2002 walleye opener which is the third Saturday of May every year.

Red Lake is relatively deep and holds ice longer than some lakes. We flew from the Chukuni

River and landed on Little Vermilion which is a fairly shallow lake that usually breaks up early.

That's fresh ice close to shore.

P1010007.jpg

We flew over this lake that was shore to shore with ice.

P1010013.jpg

Part of Little Vermilion still had ice.

P1010014.jpg

I plowed through this to make it from camp through Middle Narrows to the mouth of Rathouse

River where the walleye bite was on.

P1010001.jpg

And back to camp for a walleye dinner. Actually I hit a secret pike bay for a couple of hours

on the return trip. GREAT!

P1010002.jpg

Fishing was excellent through Wednesday, but we woke up to this Thursday morning.

P1010020.jpg

Here's what a happy fisherman has for lunch. Leftover walleye from the lake, green onions

from my garden and a beer from the beer store.

P1010026.jpg

Two pounds of scallions are in my garden right now getting ready for next month's trip.

This wasn't Ear Falls, but it's about 65 miles north of Ear Falls.

Ear Falls is right on Lac Seul and will offer a lot of great fishing opportunities. My favourite time to fish Lac Seul is the month of June. After that when the water temps go up the walleye go deep(er) and it makes them a bit trickier to catch.

Ice will definitely be gone by opener up there (may 20th).... the last 2 years it was gone by May 1st.

My brother and I stayed on Lake Pakwash. It is about 15 mins north of Ear Falls and the fishing is amazing. On my brothers first cast of the trip he landed a nice 42"/20lb pike. We also boated many nice sized walleye through out the week. The lake is smaller than Lac Seul but it still gets pretty rough out there.