3days 2nights where to go ?

shangarang

Hi guys my name is Shang, I created an account here a while ago but never really it. I am currently an university student at university of Toronto missisauga, I generally fish for salmon and trout on the credit in the fall between classes and some recreational fishing during summer.

So currently I am planning a 3 day 2night trip with friends maybe in the muskoka or boq region. We have a group of 4-8 people and planning to rent a cottage on a resort and do some fishing. I was wondering if someone can point out some resorts or cottages we can rent. We also don't have a boat so if the place on site boat rental which will be awesome !

Thank you

Welcome to the board!

What you're asking is not as simple as it seems, this province is so full of the sort of places that you're looking for that you're probably better off doing some internet research yourself. Google for things like "muskoka tourism", "kawarthas tourism", "rainbow country tourism", etc, and you'll probably find something to suit your needs. You may have specific likes and dislikes, needs and wants, etc., and it would be difficult for any of us who don't know you well to help out. If you wander around the various sites you can get a feel for what's available. They're also good resources to have in your 'favourites' file anyway, for future trips.

Having said that, someone will probably weigh in with advice anyway, so be ready for a barrage of info. Good luck!

Hi Dave thx for the reply, I was just hoping for some recommandations for some places that people have stayed or heard about, I have searched the web a bit but it's kinda hard to

Differentiate between them and which lake to stay at. I know most lakes are fishable in the muskokas but I guess it won't hurt to ask around

Edited by shangarang

Yea like Sinclair said it's hard to find places renting just for weekends or 3 day trips in the summer. Most want to book up full weeks and are usually booked a couple of weeks in advance.

The easiest way is often browsing through cottage rental ads on kijiji. They are not resorts of course but you can find great deals privately and usually able to book for just 2-3 nights. Just ask if you would have access to a boat, of course doing it this way you'd need your boating license.

Also, what are you looking to target?

EDIT: You may want to check out http://www.fishermanscove.com - I haven't been but it was recommended to me a while back. It's no Muskoka and could be more family friendly than you're looking for. Have you guys considered just camping? Many more options.

Edited by Governator

Yeah, hadn't thought of suggesting camping. Most Provincial Parks will be full already, but there are a number of cottages that also have campsites for those who don't wish to rent a cottage. That might be the way to go if that suits your friends.

Best bet is to decide on a few lakes and start calling around the week or two weeks before the weekend you want to book. In my experience, if they have an opening that hasn't been filled you might be able to get it for just the weekend. I used to do it all the time. It might be more difficult with that many people though. Another thing to consider is the price difference between a weekend and a week. It's not really that much more for a week, so you can just book the week and stay for the weekend...done that before myself.

For weekenders, I typically hit the Kawartha lakes. In my experience, I prefer Pigeon/Chemong/Buckhorn for fishing so far. The French river is a great place too.

Anyway, make it an adventure and just book what you can. Keep in mind, the old saying "you get what you pay for" is generally true when it comes to cottage rentals. So, if you pick the cheapest place, don't expect too much ;)

There are some places listed on this Kawartha tourism site and this one for Rice Lake, but it's definitely not comprehensive. Here is one for French River as well.

There is also the Land'O'Lakes region in eastern Ontario, but I haven't had the chance to explore that area yet so can't really comment much. There are a lot of places in that region though. Maybe someone else can suggest one, but here is a tourism site that lists a bunch of resorts.

Good luck!

You should seriously look at the Bay of Quinte Region. There is a lot of water to fish, endless species and the chance to catch a trophy of any species. The Hay Bay area is nice and can give you some protection from the wind if it blows up.

Trenton, Belleville, Deseronto, Picton are a couple of places to start looking. Punch it in on google and see what resorts come up.

I will never understand why some resorts won't rent for a couple of days when they are half empty and the competition for business is fierce?

If you want to go north, try Opeechee Lake lodge in the Martin River system. It's a small lake with Walleye, Pike and Bass. Nice structure and no other cottages that I can remember (maybe a few. They include boats in the rentals. It's worth looking into.

What about staying at a nearby motel/hotel... then you just have to find a boat rental?...

Several of our members do this for their annual G2G at BofQ each fall...

Got big bucks?... You might consider a charter boat...

Edited by Beans