Rod Builders...

kemper

Hopefully some of the rod builders can help out on this one...

After a really long process (I usually build in the winter when cabin fever sets in, less motivated in the summer) I finally got all the guides wrapped on an ultralight I've been building. Mixed a batch of flexcoat the same way as always, I've built 5 rods now and never had an issue before but this batch just doesn't want to dry. Its been about 36 hours now and still quite tacky. It has dried enough that it is keeping its form, not drooping on me, but just doesn't seem to want to harden.

Any tips?

Thanks

Kemper

The temps at this time of year tend to speed up curing. Do you have AC cranked and are wrapping in the basement?

My first real guess is that your rod finish was not mixed in the right ratio. Improper resin:hardener will prevent proper curing.

Perhaps applying heat may help the finish cure. If the cat is thin, you might be able to get away with another thin cot of finish on top.

How old is your flexcoat, that could be your problem, i had an issue once with rod varnish that was old about 18 months old, the other reason as previosly mentioned was improper measuring or mixing of the resin and hardner, hopefully your using mixing cups or syringes to achieve the 50:50 ratio of resin and hardner, temp and humidity can also be a factor, mix another batch making sure its 50:50 and apply a thin coat, and you should be good to go in 24 hours.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i'm still a rookie but it sounds like improper mixture to me.

i had one rod that took about 2x as long to dry and that's all i could attribute it too.

The flexcoat is old, but has been sealed and kept in a drawer...I think the problem is a bad mix. I did measure it with the syringes, must have been lazy on the actual mixing part. I think the humidity also plays a part, I had the same issue with a float rod that I built in very humid weather although it did eventually cure properly.

I wondered about another thin coat, but I'm not sure how it will react with a half-dried base coat. I'll give it another 12 hours, and if it hasn't cured I'll try a thin coat

My guess is definitely a bad mix. I have used Flex Coat that is 2 years old with no issues.

My advice would be to apply a well measured (clean syringes), well mixed thin coat over top, it should solve the problem.

My guess is definitely a bad mix. I have used Flex Coat that is 2 years old with no issues.

My advice would be to apply a well measured (clean syringes), well mixed thin coat over top, it should solve the problem.

X2

Flexcoat ( yuk!) will last for years, user friendly IF you measure both parts CAREFULLY.

Humidity will not effect drying( curing)..temp will. But as hot as it's been, I have a problem with finish ( threadmaster) setting too quickly.

LOL.....Guess I'm just used to it, I've certainly used worse. ;)

Flexcoat is very easy to use, but, one of the worst for yellowing after some sun exposure. I learned to hate it almost 30 years ago when I built 10 ft. musky - leadcore trolling rods, on Fenwick ( Ah, the good ol' days) WHITE Fenglass blanks. In 2 weeks, the flexcoat would turn amber.

Flexcoat is very easy to use, but, one of the worst for yellowing after some sun exposure. I learned to hate it almost 30 years ago when I built 10 ft. musky - leadcore trolling rods, on Fenwick ( Ah, the good ol' days) WHITE Fenglass blanks. In 2 weeks, the flexcoat would turn amber.

I've been using the Ultra V high build for 2 years now with no yellowing issues (yet).

But I have experienced finishes that yellowed in short order, not nice.