looking at buying a bike NF

purekgw

recently just got my M1 and will be looking to get into a street bike. just wondering if any one out there has any tips when looking for a bike, i am looking at something a little more sporty so far i am liking the looks of the suzuki 500gs. I know some people on here have to ride.... any help full tips??

yah i was very surprised at the insurance differences, its crazy how much they can jump. i have been doing some looking alot of people recommend the suzuki as a good starter bike, not overly crazy $$ tag ether

I've ridden bikes for over 40 years, just recently traded in a 6cyl Honda Valkyrie for a............... wait for it................. Vespa 250cc scooter clapping.gif (always liked scooters). If you haven't ridden a lot I would suggest you start with a used bike, look for one in good condition for reasonable dollars and don't be hung up on make/model. Your size choice (500 cc) is good as there are lots of used ones about. People trade up quickly. Once you've got a bit of riding under your belt you'll have a better idea of what make and style you want (sport, standard, cruiser, etc), they all have their pros and cons. Without a huge investment you can then sell and move up. Buy some good riding gear AND WEAR IT!...... ALWAYS.....

Check insurance costs before you put your money down and with a used bike maybe forget collision insurance... weigh out the difference in cost and whether you would claim if you laid it down. Check out the dealer you would use for parts, service, etc and their location, may influence your choice.

Have fun, shopping is great.............

PS... I even wear my riding gear in my avatar!

Edited by West Arm Rider

ive had alot of sport bikes, RZs, GSXRs, ZXs, CBRs, Katanas, from 350 to 1400ccs.

personally i like big bikes but a reasonable modern 600 is an absolute weapon performance wise. i cant say any manufacturer was better or more reliable than another. wouldn't ride a 2 stroke again, but had a blast on the RZs.

as a starter i always thought the 500 suzuki would be a good bet, or a katana 600. soemthing like an R6 or a ZX6 might be a little jumpy for new rider. they are only as fast as you ride them but they can get away on you.

as for insurance you might want to look at state farm, for only this reason, they dont discriminate betweeen styles of bike, just size.

so my 200HP R1 was the same price as a 1000cc Goldwing.

i got rid of my last sport bike after realizing it is super uncomfortable, next to useless for commuting anywhere, no fun to ride alone but insane to ride with other guys. checked out how fast it would go and sold it. when you are riding a bike that does 130knh/hr in 1st gear you are in huge jeapordy of kissing your licence goodbyye, particularly with the new street racing laws. bought a nice boat instead.

another thing i noticed? my bikes used to turn a lot of heads and gathered a lot of comments, now no one seems to give a second look to a sport bike. just sayin.

if i buy another bike its going to be a sport tourer with some character like a BMW, or a Ducati monster or something.

used bikes are cheap and reliable. have fun and stay safe get some leathers they have a bad habit of falling over....

i am still undecided on the make or model that i want i love the sport bikes ( r1, r6.. and so on) but me being 20 and my first bike i dont think its a good idea. i like the suzuki but also like the honda cb900f but i am thinking thats a little to big. how ever i dont think i will be getting a cruiser or a harley im liking the (naked bike) look

My .02. since its your first bike-- buy used. buy cheap-- cash in hand, insure it for pl/pd. drive it like you stole it, drop it have a ton of fun with it then sell it within a year. then go out and pick up a nice bike.

I just got back into riding after being away for about 10 years. picked up a old radian super cheap (love the 600 motor in it) and am riding the heck out of it, with plans to sell it in the fall. and move to something else..

• 4 weeks later...

well after searching around for a while i think i finally found a bike that i may pick up. Got my course booked for sept 16, cant wait... and i think i am going to go with the 2008 kawasaki ninja 250r for a couple reasons... got the looks i care for, has enough power for what i need right now, not an expensive bike and is cheap on insurance and gas :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: . not 100% set on it yet still doing lots of research :clapping:

well after searching around for a while i think i finally found a bike that i may pick up. Got my course booked for sept 16, cant wait... and i think i am going to go with the 2008 kawasaki ninja 250r for a couple reasons... got the looks i care for, has enough power for what i need right now, not an expensive bike and is cheap on insurance and gas :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: . not 100% set on it yet still doing lots of research :clapping:

how much is insurance on that bike? i got my m1 and a new 09 yamaha xt250 enduro this past spring. its an awesome starter bike, cheap to buy, and insurance is $35/month for me.

state farm wouldnt give me a discount if i did the course so i just did the mto test. it was VERY easy to do. i didnt even buy the motorcycle handbook and i still aced the m1 and m2 tests. :)