How to create demand in sport fishing?

Bigfish

Well said Mark....thats what its all about ...get out and enjoy it...whatever course you may take. The water is there for all of us to enjoy. Be it doing 10 mph in my aluminum with my 9.9 hp or doing 74 mph in a Ranger of just cruising with the family on a pontoon boat catchin panfish. There is something for all. I just can't figure out why some people see tournament anglers as such bad people or as hurting the sport we all love????

Well I better stop now, someone may think I'm trying to sell something. LOL

Everyone asks whats wrong with the fishing industry, well heres my take on it. What is happening in this post is exactly what I have seen on so many other sites, CLUB BASHING CLUB< SERIES BASHING SERIES<, now its ANGLER BASHING ANGLER :Gonefishing: I love both aspects of what is being said here I love to go fishing with the family with no goal but to get away from every thing, I love to compete against others in tournys, which one is better, well that depends what day it is, when im in my small boat I love to see guys racing around in their big bass boats and wish I was racing against them to the honey hole, when im in my bass boat I see the guys huddled in their small boat, laughing or just sitting there enjoying what their doing flipin crappies in the boat, and I wish I was there. My point here is that if we all love to fish as much as we claim, why does there seem to be so much anger towards another group. I do get envolved with as many of the fishing for kids events as I can, and what I love most is the smiles and the happiness these kids get when they catch a fish, do they care what size my boat is, when they hold up that 4 inch perch they are at that moment the greatest fisherperson that ever lived, thats what fishing is about, so if you what to be in a club be in one if not dont, but I for one still want you tell me the story of your fishing trip :canadian:

Very well said Mark, I know where your coming from i grew up in the heart of Toronto "Christie and Bloor" i lost a few friends to drugs and other ways uncalled for but after having my first child i geared up and chose a better path i have 3 kids now a 12 year old daughter 7 year old daughter and a 5 year old son when we go to our bro-in laws cottage we do alot of fishing my older daughter loves it so does my second daughter as for my son he couldn't care less especially if we rent a boat he just looks foward to sleeping in it rather than fishing and it dont bother me one bit as long as hes chillin he seems to show more intrest if we are fishing on the dock i think hes kinda scared of being in a boat but i am really sure as he gets older he will enjoy it as a past time thing and if things change maybe its for the better if i see any of my kids wanting to pursue a sport fishing career i think i will back them up 100 percent whether it being a pro angler or any other job on the face of this planet.

Well if your heart is really into getting kids fishing

Start by looking at what www.takemefishing.org/ does

http://www.fishingworks.com/kids_fishing/index.cfm

http://www.aa-fishing.com/kids-fishing-trips.html (read each states value in creating intrigue)

lots of tips

Set your club aside,use it as a collective assembly of aid only

Second,I think to innitiate kids in a competitive enviroment is not needed,As Chris S Stated it will naturally come

You really want to get kids fishing its simple,take them along the banks,fish a little,walk along the banks turn over rocks ,look for crayfish,frogs,tad poles,insects,bring them back home ,place them in an aquarium so the kids can observe em and nurture them,even put some local tiny fish caught or trap minnows

Basicaily ya want to get kids into fishing,get em going the same we did as kids

We will not get kids into fishing trying to interest them into adult ways of fishing

Its actually pretty simplistic

Too much focus on the "fishing " part of it

You need the peak their interest in fishings entire surroundings

Anyone ever approach Hagens or any other aquarium manifacture to aid in such activities

JPD,great effort and works on your part with the kids in your local area schools

Edited by marc thorpe

As some of you know, myself and family have been running a Fishing Derby for Kids now for 5 years for the kids at our trailer park and take great pride in helping kids with the fun part of fishing. Many of these kids when we started this derby did not own a fishing rod, now thanks to the sponsors we have (check out signature) this has all been made possible.. A couple of years ago I approached a Big name pro to show up to hand out prizes for the kids.. his response was seeing as it was going so good that he could help me with prizes only if he could incorporate it in with his company. :oops::devil: needless to say.. NO thanks We don't need you.. We have support from another Big name that does not want to be recognized for what he is doing for this cause, but I think he is GREAT and he knows about this board also. This is all I have to say apart from the fact that we can all help kids by doing our part. I know that Rick (bigfish) also does 1 for people on Mothers Day weekend and I will be there to help out :rolleyes:

Hey Marc Thorpe, what a terrific post and a great reminder!

Ya know, I've taken my daughter and nephews fishing many times in the past and I usually don't take my own rod so I can just concentrate on the little ones. But my emphasis has always been on the 'fishing.' I really haven't thought about the other aspects of taking children out to the great outdoors like you mentioned in your post.

The fun of collecting fish and just enjoying the wonders of a stream or lake is something that I think we as adults forget sometime.

I've got my niece and nephew coming up for a visit next month and you bet that I'll also include lots of fun nature time along with our fishing time.

Funny thing is, I think I'll enjoy it as much as the kids will!

Edited by Mike Pike

I agree with the "Just take a kid fishing" stance. Some of my earliest memories are of catching chub and small trout from small creeks. Along with that came the crayfish hunting, wildlife spotting, fort building... If you live in a newer suburb, maybe those things aren't readily available to your youngones. I think that all the catchbasins that are built around new suburbs should be stocked with fish to allow our young'uns access to fishing opportunities that may not be close by. If a child doesn't understand the joy of angling, they wont be as inclined to get into the competitive side later on in life.

As far as what can the tourney scene do to improve attendance, Make them affordable. If you can get boats out for $10-$20 a boat you'll get much bigger fields. And for those who do well in these formats, the bigger circuit would then have some appeal. For me, if I wanted to test my skills, I don't want to pay $250 for a days fishing. The entry money alone is intimidating. I'd be happy to walk away with a trophy saying "Best Team" and the gas money to cover the days cost. Just that the prize money is nice, but it would be easier for a dad to take his kid out for a day and have fun at a low cost.

Hey Mike it all comes down to thinking like kids,too many times we think like adults and try to get kids involved in adult ways

Fishing is more than angling,more than catching

Its everything in the surroundings of fishing that makes the experience what it is

Watching your son on the ice that day quickly brought out what it is they seek in fishing

BTW,I got your minnow net

Edited by marc thorpe