Anyone trolling GBay/Severn Sound?

Canuck

Anyone fishing salmon or trout in the northern Severn Sound or Awenda Park area of Georgian Bay this year? I have not gone out once this year for salmon. Got only one salmon last year but I didn't spend much time on the water. Is anyone from that area aware of any success on the trout/salmon?

OK, I will answer my own question (in a sense). I went out Friday evening for an hour or so and Saturday AM for a couple hours. Nice weather for washing lures nice and spotless clean. Trolled off Awenda/Methodist Pt to the green can off SW of Giants Tomb, and also a bit in the hole off north end of Beausoleil Island. Not a damn thing. Very very few fish on sonar. A few sporadic marks near bottom but nothing that appeared of any size and nothing taking.

Went back to the marina Sat afternoon and pulled a few mid sized bass (biggest about 3 lbs)from around the docks to get my fix then packed it in. I may need to sell the open water boat and get a bass boat! Anyway, still interested in other reports from the area. I miss being on Lake O where you were near guaranteed of salmon when you went out.

I trolled there Sunday during the day around Giant's Tomb and not a damn thing. Not marking much either. I've gone out the last two weeks around that area also, and again nothing. I'm new to it though, so I might just be doing something wrong. Which marina are you at?

I trolled there Sunday during the day around Giant's Tomb and not a damn thing. Not marking much either. I've gone out the last two weeks around that area also, and again nothing. I'm new to it though, so I might just be doing something wrong. Which marina are you at?

I am at Hindson. I have fished salmon and trout that area for about the last 10 years and each year it gets worse and worse. I did get an 18lb salmon in the hole late August last year, which was the first good one in a long time. Its really hardly worth the fuel now though.

I come out of Waubaushene so it's even farther, but I need to get experience with deep water trolling so you gotta do what you gotta do. I've put in probably 8-12 hours of trolling so far this year and not a single bite. Seems like it's not all me though... Does it usually pick up closer to the fall?

If I was fishing for salmon around that area, it would be out of OS.... Might also wanna try the mouth of 12 Mile Bay.

I always wondered about that area around 12 mile bay. Cruising through there you do mark what look to be trout or salmon, but normally I am not fishing, just passing through. (and that's a long way to go just to fish)

Edited by Canuck

I come out of Waubaushene so it's even farther, but I need to get experience with deep water trolling so you gotta do what you gotta do. I've put in probably 8-12 hours of trolling so far this year and not a single bite. Seems like it's not all me though... Does it usually pick up closer to the fall?

Historically the salmon start to accumulate in the "hole" off north end of Beausoliel in mid August to early Sept before they head up the coldwater river. You will see stubborn die hards like me trolling there around then. Last August I got this one (which was nice and healthy) but thats it for the year other than a few trout.

GBaySalmon-1.jpg

Get away from the area, very few fish. i put in to much time this year. Lots of fish left in Gbay but i rarely fish the same area twice and im often trolling now in places i have never fished and im finding fish. do something out of the ordinary and you may find yourself lucky on the bay.

Not that I spend alot of time up there anymore but my parents live on Portage island up there and I fish for salmon a couple times each year. Do I light them on fire? no but I never have any trouble catching 3 or 4 salmon each time out and you can't keep the lakers off the lines.

The last couple of years the smelt population has grown leaps and bounds to what it was 5-7 years ago and in result we are catching fish on small spoons Knockout punches have been our best producers and we fish them deep on riggers and divers way out of temperature 40F seems to be best normaly finding fish out off structure but not too far away from it (the structure seems to be loaded with lakers)

hope this helps

Dan

Knockout lures prostaff

I don't think this warrants a new thread, so I'll just post the report here.

Went out into Severn Sound yesterday and trolled for about 6 hours total. Only had my dad with me, so only 2 rods down unfortunately. Nothing the whole day except for a herring that somehow managed to get the treble into its mouth. I didn't even know it was on until I pulled me line up to change lures. Tried a variety of lures and depths, was using dipsy divers. Marking lots about 25' down, but still no takers.

Edited by Lota lota